98 and slave HDD

wobbler 12:17 14 Dec 2003

My 98 brain has gone awol. I am trying to install a secondary drive in my machine but although its present in the BIOS and Device manager its not in "My Computer". I am running Win98 SE. Any help please. I cant see the drive from the DOS prompt.

LastChip 12:20 14 Dec 2003

Has it been prepared and formatted?

wobbler 12:31 14 Dec 2003

no, cant format it cos I cant see it. I realise i am probably doing something incredible stupid, but what?

[email protected]@m 12:42 14 Dec 2003

Enter setup by pressing F1 or F2 after self test. Select step 6, Command prompt. Assuming the slave has been allocated drive D, enter D: You can now fdisk the drive.

LastChip 13:04 14 Dec 2003

1. Boot with a Win98 start up disc and at the command prompt, type; fdisk [enter]

2. On start up select F8 and at the menu select boot into DOS command prompt. (use fdisk)

3. Use the manufacturers software to prepare the drive. Maxtor - Max Blast; Seagate - Disk Wizard.

Sheila-214876 13:59 14 Dec 2003

Get a Win98SE boot disk from click here now disconnect your existing "old" drive and make the "new" drive the master. Make sure the bios detects it. Restart your computer with the bootdisk in and when you get to the A:\ prompt type fdisk and press enter. Partition the drive and make it "active". Restart your computer again "with the boot disk" in. and this time when you get to the A:\ prompt type in format c: and press enter. When that has finished reconnect your old disk as master and the new disk as slave. Again make sure the BIOS detects both drives and you should now have two drives installed.

Sheila-214876 14:00 14 Dec 2003

Get a Win98SE boot disk from click here now disconnect your existing "old" drive and make the "new" drive the master. Make sure the bios detects it. Restart your computer with the bootdisk in and when you get to the A:\ prompt type fdisk and press enter. Partition the drive and make it "active". Restart your computer again "with the boot disk" in. and this time when you get to the A:\ prompt type in format c: and press enter. When that has finished reconnect your old disk as master and the new disk as slave. Again make sure the BIOS detects both drives and you should now have two drives installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?