8600k/8700k or 9600k? Recommendations

PhillyG76 21:01 10 Nov 2018

I’m currently saving and buying to build a desktop pc. All I have brought so far is an Asus z370G Matx board and one 8gb ram stick. I was thinking of the 8600k cpu as it seemed a good price and I hoped it would be adequate for modest gaming. But it seems ppl highly recommend the 8700k and seems to make a lot of difference for FPS performance but seems a hell of a lot more money. But the 9600k doesn’t seem much more. The 9700k I think is way out of my reach. Gpu I was thinking of a gtx1070 or 1070ti and maybe adding a second later on. But if a RTX2070 comes available for similar price I may opt for this. But would a 8600k work well with this gpu(s)?

dan4 23:04 22 Nov 2018

The i5-8600K and i7-8700k have very similar specs (you can check them out at ark.intel.com).

The main difference (and reason for increased price) is that the 8700k makes use of hyper-threading. Therefore, the 8700k has 6 more "threads" compared to the 8600k. Also, the 8700k has a slightly higher base frequency but a decently higher turbo frequency.

As for gaming, both CPU's are decent and will get the job done. The 8700k will do the job better, but it'll cost you a fair amount to make the increase. For a decent comparison, check out userbenchmark.com. There's quite a few sites that give stats for both of these CPU's if you want to make more comparisons.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch