8 Gig hard drive-formatted and is now 500Mb

arcademan 22:57 24 Oct 2003

I have just recently been given an old PC to overhaul.The previous owner had deleted a large number of files and as a result,the machine would not load windows,except in safe mode(Which showed drive C as 8 Gig).I tried to reload windows 98 with no success so I formatted the hard drive and reloded windows.Success! or so I thought until I noticed that the 8.6Gig hard drive was now 500Mb.
I have checked the bios which shows the correct size 8.6 Gig. Any Clues?

pj123 23:01 24 Oct 2003

You probably need to fdisk it first and say "yes" to the question "Do you want to enable support for large hard disks". Then format.

SheffieldSpy 23:14 24 Oct 2003

How did you reformat it?? Did you use Fdisk?? If you use the "Format C:" (C being where Windows is installed) commmand in a DOS prompt, it just reformats the disk in the current file format. However now that you apparently have a 500mb hard disk, you need to take up the fdisk suggestion above.

DieSse 00:32 25 Oct 2003

Check in the BIOS and make sure that LBA mode is selected for the drive - otherwse you may see the capacity limit you have seen.

A read about the reasons here click here and here click here and here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?