6 gig drive only showing 944mb

digitaldilema 15:34 31 Jul 2003

I was given a Elonex PC-5166/1, from my employer with windows 2000 network installed. It has been used to train IT for a number of years, hence full of crap. It has better spec than my Compaq P166, so i thought i would format and fdisk and then load my Win98 onto it, and dispose of my compaq. I managed to format and fdisk or so i thought, my problem now is that i know for a fact that the Elonex has a 6 gig hard drive installed, but no matter how many times i fdisk it only shows a 944mb drive. Am i doing something wrong? if anyone can offer any suggestions, please explain what to do in easy terminology as i have limited PC knowledge. I only attempted fdisk as i had easy to follow info on deleting and creating partitions.

digitaldilema 15:37 31 Jul 2003

Sorry i forgot to add that i have managed to install Win98 onto the drive, but it does not leave much space for office 97 and other software.

TBH1 17:28 31 Jul 2003

what size does the BIOS think it is ?
and if you fdisk /status what do you get there ?

digitaldilema 19:08 31 Jul 2003

TBH1, i'm not quite sure what i'm looking at.

TBH1 22:33 31 Jul 2003

digitaldilema - - this has been ticked - -is it sorted now ? The BIOS is displayed right after boot-up and will display your hard discs, cd roms etc - - there is a key you can press to pause this as it executes so you can see more clearly ( can't think which one right now) . I had need to get imformation from this and ended booting 4 times to get it !!! This imfo will tell you what size the BIOS is seeing.
The fdisk bit of this - - -if you start system using your startup floppy you will eventually come to the A: prompt - - -if you type in fdisk /status it will list out all partitions on your disc - - from your imfo it may be your disc has a non DOS partition on it, maybe UNIX or something - - -this would neet deleting via this fdisk utility.

TBH1 22:37 31 Jul 2003

digitaldilema - - this has been ticked - -is it sorted now ? The BIOS is displayed right after boot-up and will display your hard discs, cd roms etc - - there is a key you can press to pause this as it executes so you can see more clearly ( can't think which one right now) . I had need to get imformation from this and ended booting 4 times to get it !!! This imfo will tell you what size the BIOS is seeing.
The fdisk bit of this - - -if you start system using your startup floppy you will eventually come to the A: prompt - - -if you type in fdisk /status it will list out all partitions on your disc - - from your imfo it may be your disc has a non DOS partition on it, maybe UNIX or something - - -this would neet deleting via this fdisk utility.

TBH1 22:38 31 Jul 2003

just in case I needed to repeat it ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)