56k Modem to Wireless Broadband

Jai 17:59 15 Apr 2008

I have just moved house & the computer I own has an internal 56k modem. I would like to go to wireless broadband straight away (my land line gets switched on tomorrow). Am I correct in assuming I will need to buy a wireless adapter card? Plus of course the usual modem/router supplied by BT or whoever?

woodchip 18:01 15 Apr 2008

No, if you have Ethernet Lan connection in the Computer you should have all you need. Thats if you want modem near to computer

citadel 18:18 15 Apr 2008

I would use cables first to get everything working ok at the new house. you can change to wireless later when you are happy with everything.
I have just moved house and it was a nightmare to get up and running.

Jai 18:22 15 Apr 2008

I intend to plug in the modem/router to the primary phone socket & have the computer talk to the router from upstairs. Woodchip I presume that the Ethernet Lan card has to be wireless?

Jai 17:24 16 Apr 2008

Bump

DieSse 18:10 16 Apr 2008

"I presume that the Ethernet Lan card has to be wireless?"

An ethernet/lan card is for cabled ethernet only.

A wireless adapter card will be needed for wireless access, as you rightly surmised in your first post.

woodchip 19:17 16 Apr 2008

No it dons not need or wants to be wireless, as to setup a router you need to be connected with a ethernet cable from comp to router

Jai 11:55 11 Apr 2009

Solved my own Q (nearly a year late) - got a wireless router & then plugged in a USB adapter & Hey presto.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?