56k dial up! painfully slow these days - why

second best 22:19 31 Jan 2003

has anyone noticed the severe slowdown in 56k dialup internet these days or is it just me. it's never been great, but i can almost, quite confidently say, that in the summer of last year, or maybe a little before, that my connection was twice as fast. my main concern is - are isp's deliberatley slowing down connections on 56k in-order to get them onto broadband? i hear BT were doing it, but that's just what i hear. is there a decent accelerartor out there, for free??

second best 14:19 01 Feb 2003

bamfiesler, pcpitstop.com can tell you your ping if you're interested, as well as your hdd speed and memory etc. that's a very interesting statistic brucio! like i say, it was definitly faster early last year, and only since the rumours of customer slow down, ahs my connection suffered.

Stuartli 14:36 01 Feb 2003

I'm with Tiscali 50, using a telephone line installed 38 years ago.

I have a cordless phone, two phone extensions, the answerphone and modem on extension cables and still consistently connect, first time, at 52k; unexpected disconnections are rare.

Stuartli 14:39 01 Feb 2003

If you have AV software, only set it to check e-mails; this should speed up your connection a bit.

jediknight007 15:26 01 Feb 2003

Well, I'm on BT Openworld and I only connect at speeds of 33.6Kbps but sometimes I'm lucky to get 45.2kbps or even luckier to get 44.Kbps. With the 2 higher speeds, I always hear some distortion in the dial-up sounds, like there is a bit of cracking noises in it. Anyways, webpages only load about 2 or so seconds faster with the 45.2kbps over the 33.6kbps. With the 33.6kbps, it never takes longer than 10 seconds to load a PCA page, even when downloading things. I know that might seem slow to other people but not for me and probably not for a 33.6kbps.

second best 02:00 02 Feb 2003

bump

dougiez 08:21 02 Feb 2003

no problems with firenet, 45 - 50kps with 56k v92 windows xp, or 50+kps with 56k v90 on w 98 on old machine.
bt replaced line 3 months, because the line getting old and split, only could connect at 30kps at the best .
all systems go now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)