500 GB drive only shows up as 60 gb.

Govan1x 11:48 14 Jan 2019
Answered

Probably my fault. had problems with windows so decided to use Macrium to install it again.

That was a while ago and never noticed as it has not been used for a year. The problem is C Drive is only showing 60gb with 5 gb free.

I can only assume that i should have made a partition on it.

There is a D drive on it Local Disk and it does not have a DVD drive on it. When I click on the D Drive it says it has not been formatted so not sure what to do about that. It just show Used space 0 bytes and free space no bytes.

It is an Australian Laptop amd the owner is due back on Thursday.

I suppose the C drive has to be expanded anyone know how to do it.

Obviously it will not download all the updates as there is no room on C drive to do it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 14 Jan 2019

Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run box.

Type sigverif and click OK.

When the File Signature Verification utility opens, click Start.

It will scan your system for unsigned drivers. Then will display a list of any unsigned drivers

Govan1x 21:58 14 Jan 2019

Ok done that Fruit Bat /\0/. it came up with 2 files both Microsoft with a with a big N/F beside them. Think it was N/F. I got the impression that they had stopped working.

So not sure what to do next.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 14 Jan 2019

try reinstalling or updating those drivers in device manager

Govan1x 11:51 15 Jan 2019

Those are the 2 that it finds. N/A beside them usually means not applicable or something like that. Any idea as to where I would find them in device Manager.

basicrender.sys 14/12/2017 10.0.16299.19 Not Signed N/A

bthport.sys 14/12/2017 10.0.16299.64 Not Signed N/A

Govan1x 12:25 15 Jan 2019

I understand that the one of those maybe the cause of my Windows Updates to stop working.

KEITH 1955 12:32 15 Jan 2019

hi govanix you just mentioned your windows update not working , do you mean crashes/hangs during download or install , if so write down the kb number and put kb ( is the number) into the search box at top right of this page, it will list all versions of the kb number you can download manually from this site , just make sure you choose the right one.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:08 15 Jan 2019

bthport.sys is driver for bluetooth

basicrender.sys is part of windows graphics files

sounds like both are corrupt

try sfc /scannow see if system file checker will replace them.

Govan1x 13:30 15 Jan 2019

Just running that sfc now Fruit Bat /\0/. Ran it yesterday and it found a few problems it could not fix. Ran restore health and all that and it found no problems. That was with shell. have reverted back to cmd to try that.

Read of someone with the exact same problem with basicrender.sys . Stops windows updates . Stops reboots as the laptop will not start again till I manage to click on start with driver whatever disabled in advanced.

he ended up reseating his computer

Govan1x 10:07 16 Jan 2019

Ok got fed up trying so have run a reset. Took my files etc with it so don't know if that was a mistake. if so will try again without them.It is installing windows again but taking a while.

I will let you know if any success or not. But have to go out for a while.

Govan1x 06:33 17 Jan 2019
Answer

Ok everything went well except it deleted my security program. Downloaded Malwarebytes again and it opened with all my details intact.

So thanks everyone for there help only reset it as a last resort and it seems to be working fine now.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?