500 GB drive only shows up as 60 gb.

Govan1x 11:48 14 Jan 2019
Answered

Probably my fault. had problems with windows so decided to use Macrium to install it again.

That was a while ago and never noticed as it has not been used for a year. The problem is C Drive is only showing 60gb with 5 gb free.

I can only assume that i should have made a partition on it.

There is a D drive on it Local Disk and it does not have a DVD drive on it. When I click on the D Drive it says it has not been formatted so not sure what to do about that. It just show Used space 0 bytes and free space no bytes.

It is an Australian Laptop amd the owner is due back on Thursday.

I suppose the C drive has to be expanded anyone know how to do it.

Obviously it will not download all the updates as there is no room on C drive to do it.

Govan1x 12:30 14 Jan 2019

Just had a good look at Macrium and looks like I made a right mess of it.

Not sure how to reset it properly.

Took a snapshot of it but cant post it on here as the @ on it does not work to sign in to the helproom.

BRYNIT 12:39 14 Jan 2019

It's likely that the rest of the drive is just unallocated. You could go into Disk Manager and it may allow you to create a partition from the unused part or you can download one of the free partition managers from Paragon, EaseUS or AOMIE that will allow you to resize the partition.

KEITH 1955 12:43 14 Jan 2019

try this first the " and the @ change place on some regions keyboards so first try shift 2.

if that does not work , go into the language and region settings and change it to uk English , if the pc does not have it you can download it BUT make a note of what pack is in use now and change it back what its on now when you have finished.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:51 14 Jan 2019

Disk management

right click c: the extend option should be greyed out

is D: immediately to to right of c:?

if so you can delete d drive and you will see it becomes unallocated - now when yo right click c: the option to extend C: is available just use this option to select all the unallocated space (or some of the space).

if you leave some space spare then you can recreate D in the smaller space.

Govan1x 13:50 14 Jan 2019

Just downloaded the keyboard and touchpad drivers from HP and the laptop will not restart.

So it could be a while before i can get back into the laptop.it is diagnosing the laptop as we speak. nah back to automatic repair.

Got a feeling I would maybe be better to reinstall it from fresh. but without a DVD drive it is going to be difficult.

Govan1x 14:17 14 Jan 2019

Now you can see what a mess I made of this and why I put it away fr a year.

Click here

Govan1x 14:25 14 Jan 2019

As far as I know I only have C drive on this although it says D drive as well there is nothing in it.

There maybe a card reader or something like that on it but nothing installed in it.

Govan1x 14:45 14 Jan 2019

Cant find D drive in disk management.There is 2 unallocated boxes 1 with 289.55 Gb amd the other with 100 Gb.

Govan1x 15:34 14 Jan 2019

Ok downloaded Aomie and am running that. Merged the partitions together and hope I put it all on C Drive.Just noticed one is a fat 32 partition not sure what will happen with that.At the moment it is stuck at 32%.

Just have to wait and see what happens.

Govan1x 17:27 14 Jan 2019

Ok that looks like it might have sorted out that problem. I now have 396 Gb of free space on the hard drive so thanks for all the information.

Now 1 other problem arises if I try to reboot the laptop or turn it off and on again the laptop will not start just get a constant globe going round and round.

Start up repair does not help but if I can get into advanced and click on F7 i can get it to start again.

Now my memory is not that great but it is some thing like start your computer with unsigned drivers.

So I am assuming I have an unsigned driver somewhere but nothing shows in Device manager.

Anyone have any idea as how to rectify that problem and is there another way to find unsigned drivers.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

The Best 404 Page Designs: from delightful illustrations to time-wasting games

Powerbeats Pro review

Que faire si le son de votre Mac ne fonctionne plus ?