3rd Slave Hard Disk Error

NoahBoone 14:03 20 Sep 2015

Hey, my (post?) boot screen is getting stuck at this error "3rd Slave Hard Disk Error. Press F1 to Resume." Its a Asus M5 A78L-M motherboard. A Seagate ST2000DM001 HDD. Could it be my CD/DVD or did my HDD fry?

Any help would be appreciated.

NoahBoone 14:19 20 Sep 2015

Just moved the HDD and CD drive from SATA 2 and 3 to SATA 1 and 2 respectively and getting a slightly different error of "3rd Master Hard Disk Error".

NoahBoone 14:40 20 Sep 2015

Removing just the CD drive didn't help. Same error message. Disabling it BIOS didn't help either. Why would it be saying "3rd" in the first place? I only have 2 things plugged into SATA drives.

NoahBoone 15:03 20 Sep 2015

Found the Win 7 disk, opened up the CMD prompt in the repair tools, used diskpart -> list disk to see if its showing anything. Only Disk 0 showed with the amount of space left on my HDD (about 127gb) on both "size" and "free" areas.

NoahBoone 15:54 20 Sep 2015

The HDD doesn't appear to be making any noise apart from about 2 seconds of scanning on start up. The computer has not been moved or knocked in any way.

NoahBoone 15:57 20 Sep 2015

The HDD doesn't appear to be making any noise apart from about 2 seconds of scanning on start up. The computer has not been moved or knocked in any way.

NoahBoone 15:58 20 Sep 2015

NoahBoone 15:58 20 Sep 2015

rdave13 16:13 20 Sep 2015

If you have another PC/Laptop download Linux Mint and burn to CD/DVD. Remove the hard drive from the problematic PC. Use the Mint disc to boot from . If that works it sounds as your Sata hard drive is dead.

Mint download site.

NoahBoone 16:28 20 Sep 2015

Trying that now. What exactly will this accomplish? To see if it can still boot to an OS?

If the hard drive is really gone like this, would it be at all possible to still do a data transfer onto a new HDD?

rdave13 16:43 20 Sep 2015

This will see that if you can boot from a Linux disc without the hard drive then the motherboard is ok and your drive is dead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)