3GB DDR Memory with a Dual Channel Mboard

Fried~Chips 10:37 29 Sep 2008

Looking to build a new machine butg stay with XP Home 32b. I know from older postings that 4GB will not utlilize or be seen in XP Home 32bit and the max is only 3GB - 3.5GB

Ok, I ask myself. How do I build and benifit from 3GB memory if the motherboard uses Dual Channel memory array. I understand dual chanel as it says is x2 matching sized dimms to make a pair to make the dual channel match.

So back to my question 3 GB of memory in a dual channel motherboard. Ermm. They do not make 1.5GB Dimms How is it done. I see other systems of the page on the web etc showing 3GB so their is a way but HOW ?

Thanks if you can call in and help.

rdave13 10:56 29 Sep 2008

Found this; click here .

I am Spartacus 11:02 29 Sep 2008

I would buy a matched 4GB kit (2 x 2GB). With the relatively low price of RAM you wouldn't be spending that much extra than with a 3GB 'mixed' kit.

Bear in mind with the release if the Core i7 then triple channel memory is being introduced and it's likely that RAM manufacturers will probably supply 3 GB matched kits (but only DDR3 RAM).

Fried~Chips 21:50 29 Sep 2008

Interesting imput, have to think about the options. Ok say I want to build myself a new intel Duo or Quad core machiine but not where CPUJ would cost £150+ to keep the price down. What would be a fair balance to get the best punch. Difficuly thinking about it as its a knock on effect with CPU - Motherboard - Memory & PCI Express graphics. Want to avoid vista keep with xp home 32b.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?