Hot Topics

3.5HDD not recognized but 2.5 is

dangerus1 16:06 02 Oct 2017

I bought a used Dell Inspiron One 2205 which came withy no Hard Drive. The default drive for this AllinOne is a 3.5 but when I installed my own it was not recognized at all. After much messing and frustration I put in a 2.5 I had spare from a laptop and this was recognized straight away. And while it's working just fine I am curious to know why my 3.5 is not recognized. I must add I also tried another 3.5, no joy.

BRYNIT 20:10 02 Oct 2017

Just a thought. A 2.5" HDD only needs 5V to run a 3.5" HDD needs 12V. IF the power cable to the HDD is only supplying 5V and not the 12V required for the 3.5" HDD it will not work.

dangerus1 21:44 02 Oct 2017

Brynit, I thought the same as you but the Dell comes with a 3.5 as standard and the only two connections are the usual fittings. I had a Lenovo AllinOne that had 2.5 which is why I put my 2.5 in which works OK.

dangerus1 21:45 02 Oct 2017

Brynit, I thought the same as you but the Dell comes with a 3.5 as standard and the only two connections are the usual fittings. I had a Lenovo AllinOne that had 2.5 which is why I put my 2.5 in which works OK.

dangerus1 11:13 03 Oct 2017

BRYNIT, I connected the 3.5 hard drive in an old desktop and it showed straight away. I deleted the partion using Partion Assistant and then formatted it. OK on the desktop but not recognized by the Dell AllinOne. I cannot understand this as 3.5 comes as standard, the 1TB 2.5 that I'm using I had to stick in using double sided velcro as it was too small for the caddy that came with the PC

BRYNIT 12:39 03 Oct 2017

CLICK HERE for diagram of sata 15 pin power connector. If you are not getting 12V on the yellow cable or on the pins 13-15 you may have a fault in the cable/connector or the power supply.

dangerus1 14:28 03 Oct 2017

BRYNIT I think that may be the answera, probably why the PC was so cheap. I shall have to weigh up if it would be worth going to my local computer shop who is a great guy or continue with the 2.5 which seems to be working fine. The connection wires disappear behind the PCs stand and I'm not mobile enough to start dismantling things. Thanks for your help as that is the most likely thing.

dangerus1 14:31 03 Oct 2017

BRYNIT, sorry I ticked the box when I shouldn't have. I think you were correct with your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Trump issues executive orders to restrict TikTok and WeChat in the US

Yuke Li's 'pencil' drawings are entirely digital

Apple takes legal action against a company that uses a pear logo

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2020)