32 bit res displays muddled colours

The_slay0r 14:31 31 Oct 2003

i recently bought a creative 3d blaster 4 mx420 from PC world, but i am having problems when i try to set it to a colour quality of 32bit. when i set it to this resolution i get a pink line on the bottom of my login screen and my wallpaper has large masses of red green and blue speckles when i login. if anyone knows how i could fix this problem successfully i would be grateful to know. I am using windows xp pro.

Djohn 16:04 31 Oct 2003

What make/model/size of monitor do you have? Also does the display look OK at 24 bit, and what refresh rate are you using? j.

The_slay0r 17:05 01 Nov 2003

my monitor is a 15" packard bell A526. i can only change between 16 and 32 bit on my resoloution and the refresh rate is 60hz. the 16 bit res it a bit jaggy

Djohn 17:30 01 Nov 2003

The refresh rate is on the low side. Try 75 Hz, at 800x600 resolution. This should improve things. If your monitor will not support this high a refresh it will just revert back to one that it can. If this does not improve things, then you can download a new driver for your monitor from this site.

Make sure you select the correct O/S [Operating system] IE 98 or XP download the file to your desktop then log off the internet and double click the new file, it will self install. click here j.

DieSse 17:54 01 Nov 2003

A new monitor inf file ("driver") will not help, as it is only a text file of what the monitor will support.

It sounds a lot like your graphics card is faulty. The monitor merely displays what it's given - if the picture has the problems you describe, then it is being bad information - which IMHO can only be the graphics cards fault.

woodchip 19:25 01 Nov 2003

My thoughts entirely, I would be inclined to take the card back as faulty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?