3 optical drives setup

cycoze 20:08 19 Feb 2004

I have a Gigabyte motherboard a K7 Triton series GA-7N400 Pro2 , the board has 2 S-ATA connections which are used as master and slave , the board also has 4 ide slots , currently i have a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW connected to ide2 , the manual reccommends that setup , everything works well.

Question is , i now want to install a DVD-RW , which ide do i use ?

IDE 3 and 4 i gather are for a hard drive RAID setup , but can they be used for optical drives , would it be ok to use IDE1 and set the drive as master.

bremner 20:10 19 Feb 2004

As your DVD writer will write CD's why not just replace the CD Writer?

Jonathan-295313 20:49 19 Feb 2004

I know it's not related but, ............. Did you get the Norton Internet Security 2003 on your utilities disk? When I try to install it, it seems to have worked, but it hasn't. There are no desktop icons and it's not in the programs list. I have tried 'find' and there are no results. Did you encounter any problems?

SGT [email protected] 20:58 19 Feb 2004

as far as i knew , you can use all 4 ide slots for anything not just hdd's on a recent gigbyte board .

has it got gigaraid , it'll say on the box or in the manual.

if it has then u can plug your dvdr into 3 or 4

cycoze 20:59 19 Feb 2004

Yes Norton Internet Security 2003 and i did install it on XP and re-booted (as you do), no desktop icons as it loads to the system tray by the clock.

If its not listed in add/remove i would try installing it again after flushing out your temp files , if it is listed in add/remove , remove it , reboot and try installing again .

cycoze 21:09 19 Feb 2004

Yes it has got gigaraid click here , in the manual it states - important notice - connect first hard disk to IDE1 and connect CD-ROM to IDE2.

For IDE3/4 it says - if you want to use IDE3 and IDE4 , please use in unity with BIOS (either Raid or ATA133) , then install correct driver to have proper operation.

As my Hard drives are SATA i cant see why i cant use IDE1 , and i guess i`m being a bit thick over IDE3/4 as i thought they were just for RAID.

cycoze 18:14 20 Feb 2004

Prior to this thread i emailed Gigabyte , all tech related mails go to Taiwan , so i knew i wouldnt get a return mail till today , their response was "all optical drives need connect to IDE1 and 2 , IDE 3 and 4 and Sata controller are for HDD only ."

Thanks for the input bremner , jon25 and SGT [email protected] , i will set the drive as master on IDE1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?