2nd phone line

ellenripley 14:43 11 Jan 2011

I use the internet from my master telephone socket in my living room. I sometimes want to use my laptop in another room. I have run the modem etc from my 2nd landline socket to use the internet but unfortunately, it's a bit hit and miss whether it works or not. Sometimes it connects to the internet but most of the time it doesn't. Does anyone know how I can connect to the internet using the 2nd landline. It has a filter on it.

hastelloy 15:18 11 Jan 2011

If you have 2 separate landlines there shouldn't be a problem but, if you have 2 extensions on 1 landline you can only use 1 modem.

Woolwell 15:28 11 Jan 2011

If this is broadband then consider getting a wireless router and going wireless anywhere around the house.

shellship 15:46 11 Jan 2011

It is normal for a connection from an extension socket to be unreliable and I don't think there is much you can do about it. Do as Woolwell suggests and get a wireless router - but be sure to plug that into the master socket, too!

john bunyan 16:15 11 Jan 2011

I have a Wirelass Modem Router plugged in upstairs to an extension BT socket 25 metres long. I also have other extensions , all with Filters. I am getting a download speed of 6.8 - 6.9 Mbps on an "Up to 8 Mbps" (just as good as if plugged into the main BT socket). My Router is a Belkin N+ and my laptop is connected wirelessly. I also have a Vonage bouadband phone plugged in to the router with a little box and it acts just like a second phone. As Woolwell suggests a wireless modem / router is the answer.

ellenripley 17:47 11 Jan 2011

I will try a wireless router.
Thank you everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?