2nd hard drive not reading

COUCHER 00:01 18 Jul 2004

I'm running a pc on xp with two hard drives, a 120 giga prim and a 60 giga sec. I have had this prob before. the 2nd hdd starts losing info then I'm told to re-format. In bios it reads that its a 33giga. Previously I've got over it by doing a manual load of the hdd in bios but I've been to the samsung site and can't find the cyls sects and track etc for this model also its not on the drive itself. Does anyone have this info so I can load the drive manually.
Thanks
Dan

Night Ryder 00:55 18 Jul 2004

Is this a SCSI or IDE drive?

COUCHER 01:26 18 Jul 2004

Hi and thanks,
It's an IDE drive. I've had a similar prob with another drive and ended up scrapping it.
But if I can find the number of cyls setors etc. I can get the pc to read the drive and get my files back even if I have to reformat the drive to use it fater I have done so but when I went to the samsung site it gave everything but the numbers I want.
Again thanks
Dan

Dragon Heart 01:37 18 Jul 2004

Have you tried Disk Manager(r) DiskGo! Program ? via the SAMSUNG site ?

I quote "The Ontrack DiskManager DiskGo!TM software is designed to solve the problem of some
systems not being capable of supporting the full capacity of an installed hard drive."

click here

THE TERMINATOR 01:50 18 Jul 2004

go into the BIOS and set the drive(s) to AUTO....TT

norman47 02:01 18 Jul 2004

Have you checked the drive to make sure a 32gig limitation jumper is not in place?

COUCHER 02:28 18 Jul 2004

Thanks again, My first drive is a 120gb the 2nd drive is the one causing trouble its a samsung sp6003h 6ogb drive that was working ok till last week when it started to stop me saving to it. Then I started getting messages saying "Can't find that sector". Then Sat morning it comes up with 'Disk needs reformating'. In bios on 'AUTO' it's reading as a 33gb drive. If I can get the right number of cyls, sectors, heads etc I can put it in bios manually and it should be ok as I',ve done this before but I can't find these on the Samsung site. Thanks again Dan

COUCHER 02:28 18 Jul 2004

Thanks again, My first drive is a 120gb the 2nd drive is the one causing trouble its a samsung sp6003h 6ogb drive that was working ok till last week when it started to stop me saving to it. Then I started getting messages saying "Can't find that sector". Then Sat morning it comes up with 'Disk needs reformating'. In bios on 'AUTO' it's reading as a 33gb drive. If I can get the right number of cyls, sectors, heads etc I can put it in bios manually and it should be ok as I',ve done this before but I can't find these on the Samsung site. Thanks again Dan

THE TERMINATOR 22:04 18 Jul 2004

Take out the disk and the sectors and cylinder readings are on the drive itself....TT

COUCHER 02:07 19 Jul 2004

Thanks yet again. Unfortunately the info is not on the drive as is the usual case and I've not yet found it on the Samsung site. I've not yet had time to try the disk manager but looking at it it seems to want to make the drive the primary drive and set it up for booting the system but I want it as a second drive to keep pictures and files on. I'll try changing the jumpers but it was working ok so we'll have tosee what happens.
As Arnie says 'I'll be back' Dan

COUCHER 12:16 20 Jul 2004

I found the info by setting the drive,via the jumpers ,to 'Master', booting up,noting the cyls, heads,sectors etc. then changing back to 'Slave' and setting the info manually. This got my PC to read the disk but it still came up with 'The Disk Needs Formating'. So I did a quick format which doesn't get rid of all the files but now I need something to recover the files with. Does anyone know of any good recovery progs that could help. Also that can recover from a DVD back-up disk that is corrupted. Thanks again Dan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?