2nd Hard disk

denali 15:15 14 Apr 2004

Anyone help please!
I am trying to install a second small hard disk to my PC. I have been through the Advisor archives
and followed all advice there. Both drives show up when I boot, I have the small one set to slave,
but then it goes into safe mode, I press enter, and then I get the message "Windows protection error press any key to continue" I do so and the PC shuts down. Both drives work fine if I disconnect the other one but not both at once. Anyone any ideas?. I am running 98se
Thank you

poogles_uk 15:19 14 Apr 2004

I presume if the smaller one is slave, the bigger is master? Try them both on cable select.

stlucia 15:53 14 Apr 2004

Some drives have a different jumper setting for master with slave or master working alone. So, even though you've set the new one as slave, you still might have to change the settings on the original.

As poogles_uk says, setting them both to cable-select may be preferable, if your system supports it.

denali 14:36 15 Apr 2004

poogles_uk
stlucia
Thank you both for your suggestion. I tried it and it did not work.
I am reposting and hopefully some kind soul will help me
Anyone help please! I am trying to install a second small hard disk to my PC. I have been through the Advisor archives and followed all advice there. Both drives show up when I boot, I have the small one set to slave, but then it goes into safe mode, I press enter, and then I get the message "Windows protection error press any key to continue" I do so and the PC shuts down. Both drives work fine if I disconnect the other one but not both at once. Anyone any ideas?. I am running 98se Thank you

vinnyT 14:54 15 Apr 2004

It's poss. that it is the way you have set up the original (larger) drive, it may be that you have installed some vital peice of sware that windows looks for when starting on to a partition other than c:\ (course if you do not have any other partitions on the original disk then this does not apply), say d:\ for e.g.

When you add another hd, as you are trying to do, your original stays as c:\, but your new drive becomes d:\, so altering the drive sequence, the old d:\ would now be e:\ and so on.

stlucia 15:08 15 Apr 2004

"Both drives work fine if I disconnect the other one but not both at once." Does that mean you've got Win 98SE installed on both of them? If so, have you tried swapping them around, rather than just disconnecting one?

jim1947 16:13 15 Apr 2004

If as stlucia says both have a copy of windows on them, then chances are that both drives are partitioned with primary partitions. Have you used FDISK from a boot floppy to check the status of the partitions. If both are primary you will have to delete the partition from the smaller second hard drive (If thats the one you don't want) and recreate an extended partition, with logical drive(s) on it.

denali 20:32 15 Apr 2004

Thank you for responding.

jim1947 what you suggest I would like to do. The problem I have (being a novice) is. I know how to do a straight forward Fdisk, if I do so will that get me the partion you describe?. You are all correct, both discs have 98se on them

denali 22:35 15 Apr 2004

Thank you for responding.

jim1947 what you suggest I would like to do. The problem I have (being a novice) is. I know how to do a straight forward Fdisk, if I do so will that get me the partion you describe?. You are all correct, both discs have 98se on them

tony1160 22:56 15 Apr 2004

i cant see fdisk helping you as you can only enable one disk to be active for booting. i take it you have been in bios and made sure drive shows as .....ide master or slave ......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)