2month old CPU suddenly hitting 90 degrees celsius

jack_280 14:28 20 Jun 2017

I built a low end gaming PC costing about £450, the processor that i used (AMD Athlon II X4 860K 3.7 GHz Quad-Core) has suddenly started hitting temps of around 90 degrees Celsius whereas before it was consistently around the 35-40 mark? any reasons? comp is only 2 months old all parts were brand new and the PC is fitted with a Cryorig H7 which is more than satisfactory for the PC i have, Thanks in advance.

MJS WARLORD 17:04 20 Jun 2017

are all your fans running , take a look. i dont know how long it takes for temp to go high was you doing just general pc work or gaming when it happens you might think this a dumb question but did you put thermal paste on cpu heatsink.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 20 Jun 2017

Surprising how fast dust and fluff can build up especially if you have pets.

jack_280 03:19 21 Jun 2017

yes all fans are running, i had thermal paste on the cpu, ive tried replacing it just in case it was that however the same problem persists. very quickly if i run anything like chrome or steam instantly it shoots upto 70-80 degrees then if i launch and play any game it varies between 70-95 degrees... ive cleaned it all its clear of any dust however its still reaching these temps :\

wee eddie 08:38 21 Jun 2017

What are your external air temperatures and how good is the airflow around your PC?

jack_280 12:33 21 Jun 2017

i couldn't give you exact external temps however the PC is well ventilated and the room is fairly cool.

wee eddie 13:00 21 Jun 2017

It's just that, when the weather gets hot, we usually get a flood of such problems

jack_280 13:55 21 Jun 2017

yeah we had a lot higher temps since the good weather however i didn't feel like it wouldn't make my cpu temp go from 40 to 90 like i understand that its gonna heat up a little but i dont understand the drastic change.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?