2 probs; 1 old (modem) and 1 new (opening jpegs)

[DELETED] 20:02 30 Dec 2003

The new problem: I wanted to edit a jpeg, so I shift-right-clicked to get "open with" and hit mspaint, accidently checking the "always open with this program" box. After some confusion, I figured out what I had done and changed it back to IE. They now open each in their own browser window, instead of re-using the same one and letting me use "back" and "forward" to go through the ones I've just opened.

The old (and unresolved) problem: I DL'd "MetConnect" in the search for another truly free internet provider. (Right now I use Netzero.) Since it was only for a part of NY state, I uninstalled it. Due to inattention, I also uninstalled "Microsoft Connection Manager" which was right below it in the "Add/Remove" list. Now the modem is not seen correctly, making me unable to go online. (I'm currently at the library.) Steps taken to fix: Un, re, un, and re-installed everything in the "connection" section (part with "phone dialer") of "Windows Setup" in "Add/Remove" of Contol panel. Uninstall "seen" modem and reset. No luck. I also un and re-installed Netzero with no change. Am now stumped. If you need info, you need to tell me EXACTLY where to go to get it.

[DELETED] 20:12 30 Dec 2003

I believe Microsoft Connection Manager is installed together with Internet Explorer. You could try a repair to see if that gets it back click here

[DELETED] 18:00 31 Dec 2003

VoG: link doesn't work. Any other ideas?

[DELETED] 15:58 01 Jan 2004

Try opening one of the pictures in IE. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab. Check down the list and see if there is tick in 'Re-use Windows for launching shortcuts'. If there is no tick, try putting one in and see if that works.

[DELETED] 18:28 02 Jan 2004

Someone I know IRL suggested that MetConnect may be to blame. I'm not sure.
Also, if anyone has "Cmmgr32.exe" anywhere (on their hard drive, on a CD, etc) let me know. It may be the solution to my modem problem.

[DELETED] 18:29 02 Jan 2004

Sorry about the link click here

[DELETED] 16:37 05 Jan 2004

So far, no good. :( Any new ideas?

Note: After my last debacle, I used a program to clear out my Add/Remove list. Anything that I knew I would never want to delete got removed. That also means I no longer have "internet explorer" in said list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

This fantastic short film is packed with hidden TV and film references

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Soundcore Spirit X d’Anker