2 HDD

nazrat 20:27 09 Jun 2003

i have windows installed one of my hard drives but want to put linux on the other can anyone give me advise on how to do it

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

zanwalk 20:41 09 Jun 2003

Any modern main Linux distribution will partition and format your hard disk for you as it installs. However, do be careful re installing a bootloader as you may find yourself unable to boot into Windows, the safest way is to install the bootloader to a floppy and boot Linux from there until you are familiar with Linux.

As always, before installing a new operating system, do back up your important files.

nazrat 21:04 09 Jun 2003

i am familiar with linux i have already installed it on sevberal other computers and have a good knowledge of using it but i can't get it to install on the hard drive without Linux already on it thats what i want to do

jazzypop 21:37 09 Jun 2003
  zanwalk 22:23 09 Jun 2003

Apologies, from your question I had assumed you were a 'newbie'!

jazzypops link should provide you with an answer, although I still don't quite understand your problem, however, post back if you are still in trouble.

nazrat 08:26 10 Jun 2003

i could not find a link on google that made sense for me to understand could some one please give me a direct link?

powerless 09:16 10 Jun 2003

Do you want to use a boot disk or a bootloader?

If you can disconnect you Windows HDD and just have the other drive connected, you can install Linux from there.

As your installing to the other drive, use a windows boot floppy and delete the partitons on this drive.

Then install Linux. Linux will be able to see and delete a windows parttion so either way will do.

nazrat 20:58 10 Jun 2003

on the blank hard drive it says that windows is installed and if i want to remove it even with unplugging the other one with windows on it and it says about adding partitions and things like that the linux i want to install on the computer is Mandrake 8.1

nazrat 06:44 11 Jun 2003

come on can someone please help i need this done soon

zanwalk 08:55 11 Jun 2003

It is telling you Windows is installed because the file system is fat/fat32/NTFS, as you know Linux needs a different file system Ext2/Ext3 etc. Why are you not able to make a partition on the HD for Linux?

nazrat 18:30 11 Jun 2003

ok then rayburn i will try then get back to you on that one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?