2 Computer problem's

Targetmaster 22:04 21 Nov 2006

1: I have a HP computer less than a year old. The problem has been getting worse every day. Every time I try and start it, it freezes just as it reaches the desktop. I have firewall at max and have done a good amouint of virus scans and their is nothing. Any help would be good.

2: It dose not want to play certain games.
A)On one of the games I play as soon as it starts to start up it restarts the computer.
B)On a few other games they say they won't run because my proccesor is to slow. It says it dose not meet min spec of 1 ghz.

The processor is an AMD athlon 64 3800 +
The system says it runs at 2.4 ghz.
My old PC which is about 5 - 6 years old can play modern games just as well if not better. I am beginning to regrete buying the pc I have now.

Any help much apprecated

ps sorry about any spelling mistakes lol.

Kate B 22:17 21 Nov 2006

Freezing can be the result of overheating - are all your fans working properly?

Can you start it in safe mode? If so, I'd also do scans with antispyware and anti-Trojan software as well as the antivirus: I'd scan with A Squared, Windows Defender, Spybot and Adaware.

Also, how many antivirus packages do you have running? You only need one: more than one will cause problems.

Targetmaster 22:19 21 Nov 2006

It takes about 15 times to get it started. One it started it works 110%
I use the full nortan system. It seems to be best I have found.

keef66 22:22 21 Nov 2006

if it's less than a year old is it still under warranty?

Targetmaster 22:27 21 Nov 2006

Yes and that is what I have been thinking about.
It was bought from Comet. It is discontinued model now. They sold quickly. Old pc a Patriot and it best i ever had

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:27 21 Nov 2006

Have you tried uninstalling Norton and seeing if this helps...you can always re-install.

G

Targetmaster 22:34 21 Nov 2006

It won't be nortan i have used the service for a few years and it works perfect every time

Z1100 22:34 21 Nov 2006

Flash (update) the BIOS.
Then...
Remove any NON-Factory installed Hardware then Run the recovery and put the PC back to factory settings and call us back if there is a problem.

If no problem Install User programs one by one and test.

So, if you cannot get the best help here to solve the issue take the time to pre-empt the support desk and do 'all of the above'

Hanx!
K.

Targetmaster 22:39 21 Nov 2006

I know one other persn tht doen it. They spent hours on phone to get no were. Not even a friend that works for microft knows what could be wrong.

citadel 22:43 21 Nov 2006

if it is under warranty they should fix it.

Targetmaster 22:46 21 Nov 2006

Thsi is Comet we talkin about lol. They will ither offer another pc or refund. Same story with a good few products. Thsi pc the last from them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?