1GB v 2GB Opinions wanted please

ross_mcculloch 16:04 26 Dec 2007

I'm after a new PC and can't decided whether to go for 1 or 2 GB...I don't do gaming but watch videos, listen to music, online radio, emails, updating my employer's website and a few other bits n bobs.

Any thoughts?

brundle 16:17 26 Dec 2007

2gb for Vista

ross_mcculloch 16:22 26 Dec 2007

Thanks for the swift response, I'm also not sure whether to go for Vista or XP...decisions decisions!?!

Pamy 16:24 26 Dec 2007

you may not have a choice with a new computer

bremner 16:24 26 Dec 2007

With the current price of RAM I would always go for as much as I could afford.

As brundle has said I would not consider less than 2GB for a Vista machine - then again from choice I would have XP

kindly 16:25 26 Dec 2007

I am using XP but have access to vista on my sons comp. Although his has more things on it I still prefere the XP system. Mainly because I am used to it and it has so many drivers for different things. I guess that is about the only thing that is not going for vista.

symphony 21:09 26 Dec 2007

I'm no expert but been reading into this and those in the know say go for 2 GB to run Vista. I'm buying soon and I'm going for 2GB plus.

mazuk 02:39 29 Dec 2007

I would recommend 2gb whether xp or vista simply because you can never have enough RAM just when you thought you had enough a program you use ends up chewing it all up so go for it...

Zak 10:23 29 Dec 2007

You should be looking at 2GB minimum. If WinXP max 4GB RAM but

Have a look:

click here

click here

postie24 14:06 30 Dec 2007

Im not too sure,but i think you need a 64bit operating system to make it worth while using extra ram above 3gb in xp,Vista then thats fine.

bremner 14:50 30 Dec 2007

To be clear - 32 bit XP or Vista has a maximum RAM capability of 4GB. In reality for memory addressing reasons both can only handle 3GB.

A 64 bit version of XP or Vista can address much more than 4GB of RAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts