0x0000007B Installing XP on Acer Aspire F17

CompuTry 15:40 22 Mar 2018

I have an Acer Aspire F 17 F5-771G-510R.

I am trying to get 4 operating systems onto it. I have already installed 2 and am having difficulty with the third.

1) I changed BIOS to Legacy.

2) I installed Windows 7.

3) I partitioned the hard drive.

4) I installed Windows 10 on the other partition.

5) I went into Windows 7 and partitioned the hard drive again.

6) I started trying to install Windows XP from CD.

7) I pressed F7 (when it asks me to press F6) so that the ACPI mode was turned off during text mode setup.

8) I get the 0x0000007B (0x.., 0x34, 0x.., 0x...) blue screen.

I believe it is being caused by the BIOS configuration. Legacy is on (so it isn't that). I have read elsewhere online that it might be due to Power settings and SATA. However, within BIOS I cannot locate any of these things.

I think it is the new BIOS, as this Acer is a fairly new machine. Is the new BIOS more restrictive?

Is there anything I can do to sort this within the new BIOS?

At the same time however, I need the BIOS settings to remain appropriate for Windows 7 and 10.

Lastly, the fourth OS I want to install is Linux Ubuntu. I just want to play around with it because I do not like the way Windows is going and am experimenting with alternatives for the future.

Do you know if the Acer Aspire F 17 F5-771G-510R will run Linux?

Or can you direct me to a place online where I could find out?

What would be great is a website where you enter the name and make of a laptop and it generates an answer as to whether or not it runs Linux.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort to help me.

Jollyjohn 16:11 22 Mar 2018

Can I suggest using VirtualBox - click here Using Windows 10 or 7, whichever you boot into most, set up VirtualBox and then install XP as a virtual PC. You will be able to connect hardware as needed for XP once running.

You will also be able to install Linux as a virtual PC so you can have a look, without having to reboot the PC.

And yes your Acer will be able to run Linux.

Personally I would use VirtualBox to try different Distros, versions, of Linux until you find one you like. I run PCLinuxOS with a K desktop environment. Linux Mint and Ubuntu are very poular.

Archie44 18:20 22 Mar 2018

this might help

0x0000007B

and

install xp

hope these help

1]: [click here 2]: [click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?