Will my RAM speed bottleneck my PC

Seryan 19:35 29 Apr 2018
Answered

So recently I've been looking to upgrade my gaming PC and I thought a good thing to do would be to replace my processor as after talking to other people with similar specs but different processors and better performing computers, I came to the conclusion that my processor might be the problem.

I have an AMD-FX 8350 oct-core processor.

However recently someone told me that AMD processors are heavily dependant on RAM speed and I found out that my RAM speed is only 805 MHz, which makes sense considering I bought it cheap. I was wondering if my RAM speed is a problem considering I'm trying to run lots of high-end games on this PC. I've had it for over 3 years now and I need to know if the RAM is going to bottleneck any additional processing power I put into my PC.

Thanks.

Jollyjohn 21:02 29 Apr 2018

Are you sure 805mhz is correct?

See intersting article about RAM speeds click here

Flat Earther 02:18 02 May 2018
Answer

"someone told me that AMD processors are heavily dependant on RAM speed"

Probably referring to the newer Ryzen chips, where there is a small performance difference regarding RAM speeds.

"I found out that my RAM speed is only 805 MHz"

DDR3-1600 runs at 800MHz, the 'double-data-rate' means it's effectively 1600MHz

"I need to know if the RAM is going to bottleneck any additional processing power I put into my PC"

More RAM is better than faster RAM up to a point, you don't say how much you have, but 16GB of DDR3-1600 would be better than 4GB of faster RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei given 90-day extension to trade with US companies

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)