Will my RAM speed bottleneck my PC

Seryan 19:35 29 Apr 2018
Answered

So recently I've been looking to upgrade my gaming PC and I thought a good thing to do would be to replace my processor as after talking to other people with similar specs but different processors and better performing computers, I came to the conclusion that my processor might be the problem.

I have an AMD-FX 8350 oct-core processor.

However recently someone told me that AMD processors are heavily dependant on RAM speed and I found out that my RAM speed is only 805 MHz, which makes sense considering I bought it cheap. I was wondering if my RAM speed is a problem considering I'm trying to run lots of high-end games on this PC. I've had it for over 3 years now and I need to know if the RAM is going to bottleneck any additional processing power I put into my PC.

Thanks.

Jollyjohn 21:02 29 Apr 2018

Are you sure 805mhz is correct?

See intersting article about RAM speeds click here

Flat Earther 02:18 02 May 2018
Answer

"someone told me that AMD processors are heavily dependant on RAM speed"

Probably referring to the newer Ryzen chips, where there is a small performance difference regarding RAM speeds.

"I found out that my RAM speed is only 805 MHz"

DDR3-1600 runs at 800MHz, the 'double-data-rate' means it's effectively 1600MHz

"I need to know if the RAM is going to bottleneck any additional processing power I put into my PC"

More RAM is better than faster RAM up to a point, you don't say how much you have, but 16GB of DDR3-1600 would be better than 4GB of faster RAM.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs