russian games makers ripping us off again.

mrgrumpy 15:04 16 Sep 2019

Many years ago I got a Russian pc game called world of battles it was free to play but I enjoyed it so much I spent about £50 on extras for it then about 8 months later they just decided to tell everyone they were shutting the servers OUCH !

For the last 4 years I have been using tanki x , just like the above it is free and just like the above I spent money just as if I had got it in a shop, again a Russian game and guess what history is repeating itself , they have just announced they are shutting the server at the end of the year , not only that IF you want to spend money you still can ??????

If I ever see another Russian so called free game I wont make the same mistake again , it wont be 3 in a row.

Have any of you spent money on a game and then had to stop using it because somebody decided to shut the servers down.

WhirlingRound 10:42 17 Sep 2019

I've looked at their YouTube channel. No way of contacting them or participating in discussions on there.

My view is avoid anything Russian. If you've had your fingers burned twice, avoid them at all costs. I wouldn't pay a penny for any 'service' or subscription whose owners could pull the plug.

If you've the energy or inclination, spread the news to warn others. It's up to you but it is something I would do.

Forum Editor 15:03 20 Sep 2019

"I wouldn't pay a penny for any 'service' or subscription whose owners could pull the plug."

Anyone who hosts games on a server can pull the plug - it's one of the risks you take, and it doesn't matter whether the server is in Moscow or Bradford. Commercial ventures start up and close down all the time, and if you don't have a written service-level agreement and/or the server is outside the UK or EU jurisdiction area you don't have a leg to stand on.

As I said, businesses fail all the time. Caveat Emptor applies.

Forum Editor 15:10 20 Sep 2019

"russian games makers ripping us off again."

It's a bit rich to make that sort of allegation after a server has been up for four years, and you are given months notice of closure. That's not a rip-off, it's a business that is having problems.

WhirlingRound 14:15 23 Sep 2019

Blockquote it doesn't matter whether the server is in Moscow or Bradford Your point about UK/EU consumer protection contradicts that. In as far as consumer protection laws are concerned I'd rather take services in Bradford.

Forum Editor 16:53 24 Sep 2019

"....as consumer protection laws are concerned I'd rather take services in Bradford."

There's no contradiction, it wouldn't make any difference. You would not have any protection if the server was in Bradford and the operators pulled the plug. When a business has to close, it closes.

My point was that your 'russian games makers ripping us off again' title was wide of the mark.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !