Questions/Advices needed for gaming computer

Thibault Magré 11:50 18 Apr 2018

Hi there,

I am buying a gaming computer where I chose most of the components my self but I am having doubts and would love to hear from experts on what is necessary and what is simply overpriced or not useful :

• Case : CORSAIR SPEC-04 MID TOWER GAMING CASE - BLACK/RED // I was looking for a case that is not too big but could still host all the high-end components I want

• Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8500 (3.0GHz) 9MB Cache // I read multiple times that the i7 was not necessary

• MotherboardASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready // No idea if this motherboard is competent for gaming or will work well with my processor

• Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB) // I am hesitating between 8gb of 3000Mhz or 16gb of less powerfull RAM

• Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready! // I think that should be enough to run most games in super high quality right ?

• Hard Disk 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE1st M. // Quite classic

• SSD Drive : 250GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND M.2 SSD (up to 550MB/sR | 525MB/sW) // For the OS and some programs not games though

• DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED // Who still uses CD/DVD ?

• Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER // According tot he website I am building it on, the 350 should be enough but I have heard that it is necessary to take some margin, is it worth buying the super 650w ssuper silent ?

• Processor Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler // I want to have a good cooling and slient system, liquid cooling looks nice but seems high maintenance and price, is it worth going to an even better fan or liquid cooling ?

• Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING // Is it worth going for a special thermal paste ?

• Extra Case Fans : 1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

• Sound Card : Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy™ FX OEM // As I have my computer hooked up to a sound bar, I believe it is worth taking a quite good sound card but unsure which one is worth the price

• Wireless/Wired Networking : WIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD // My previous computer didnt have a wifi card and it is annoying, I tried to take a middle range but no diea if this is enough or too much

• USB Options : 2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS // quite standard I believe

So here is the list and my questions/comments, I would be very grateful to have your opinions/advice.

Thanks in advance

Thibault

Forum Editor 12:24 18 Apr 2018

Moved to the Games forum from Tech Helproom.

Flat Earther 02:41 19 Apr 2018

The M.2 SSD, consider a Samsung x4 PCIe, it may cost 60% more but is 500% faster, for £40 difference it seems a no brainer.

I would certainly choose 16GB of 2133mhz over 8GB of 3000mhz

Thibault Magré 22:55 19 Apr 2018

Thanks for your answer ! I have definitely made the change to the Samsung SSD it seems way better indeed. BTW bonus question, does anyone know if it is interesting/worth the 30£ to try the Intel Optane Memory ?

Jollyjohn 09:57 21 Apr 2018

I would include an optical drive because your motherboard will probably have a cd / dvd with all the drivers it needs. There have been several posts on the issue of installing drivers to newly built computers when the USB ports don't respond due to a lack of driver!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs