Processor upgrades - skt 754

  Marko797 12:35 15 Jun 2008

I have an Athlon 3400+ (yes, dated I know), and wondered of anyone knew if this was upgradeable?

I think it's skt 754, and am using Asus k8v se deluxe mobo - again dated.

Anyone know if it's possible?

  mrwoowoo 15:42 15 Jun 2008

Almost exactly the same CPU (sempron 3400+) and board that my other pc has, that i have upstairs.
The largest cpu it will take is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ which won't be much of an upgrade.

  Marko797 16:04 15 Jun 2008

mrwoowoo. looks like i'm gonna keep this until it explodes then

  crosstrainer 17:02 16 Jun 2008

Yep, then go for a socket AM2+ looking at a new one as I type abit AX78 deluxe (never used an abit board before.

SLI, AMD 770 chipset, etc. An AMD Phenom FX would do it justice I think.

  Marko797 20:39 16 Jun 2008

this would mean changing the mobo.

Spin off from this, to the best of my knowledge, is that I might have a prob with my XP Home (or do I just advise MS that I have upgraded my mobo so that I can still use it - XP Home, that is?).

Plus, have just upgraded my gfx to 3850 (AGP) and really pleased with it.

Question is therefore, what are the other 'problems' that I might encounter if I go for a AM2+chip (which chip could I go for?) & mobo upgrade?

I'd like to know what I'm up against, then make an informed decision.

  crosstrainer 05:13 17 Jun 2008

Offcial line is : Change of mobo means new copy of Windows UNLESS you have a full retail version.

If your copy is OEM, then unless you can persuade Ms that your mobo "Blew" (and I'm not condoning this practice) then you would be faced with buying a new copy.

This would be a bit daft IMO now, as Vista is firmly with us.
If you buy a mobo / cpu bundle from the likes of Novatech, you would be able to buy a copy of the OS with it.

  crosstrainer 08:16 17 Jun 2008

Quite a few to choose from here, easy company to do business with too.

click here

  Marko797 09:16 17 Jun 2008

cheers for that.

Not as expensive as I thought!

Didn't know there were these 'bundles', which appear to make life a little easier.

So, in addition, would I just need a gfx card, and I'm good to go, or is there anything else which I might need?

  Marko797 09:46 17 Jun 2008

from the sound card. I assume I could just transfer my current 7.1 Creative ZX card to the new mobo? Sorry for all the questions, but never ventured down this particular road.

Grateful for any pointers.

  crosstrainer 11:21 17 Jun 2008

You could, although a) most of the higher end boards come with high defenition 7.1 surround sound onboard. And b) Creative have big driver issues with Vista.

The onboard sound these day's has come a long long way. I don't buy soundcards for my own machines anymore. This one would plug into my Pioneer home theatre system if I could stand the wellie it produces.

Instead, I use a set of 5.1 surround speakers that I've had for years.....More than enough.

You will need to have @ least 2gb DDR2 or DDR3 ram (the 2 types need different boards to use) and as you correctly say a new graphics card or pair of them if you go down the SLI route.

Fast HDD's 250GB+ (2 is better than 1)

Other stuff like keyboard, mouse, monitor you already have. Remember that power supplies are critical to your build, and the more graphics power you have, the bigger the PSU needed. The new PCIE cards require extra power, drawn straight from the PSU via special connectors.

  Marko797 10:43 18 Jun 2008

I need to do a bit more background reading on this, but thnx all the same.

First impressions are that I could upgrade for around £200+, but then would need the gfx card, so maybe add c.£100.

It seems a sensible option instead of just binning what I have and going for a completely new machine, and then being left with lots of serviceable bits n pieces.

I'd want to keep XP, and naturally use the current HDDs. I'd also want to keep my 7.1 sound card/subwoofer/spkrs.

Am I right in assuming I would just plug this into the board and it would work, provided I have the right drivers?

The only issue is with OS, as far as I can see.

Didn't really want to go buying another version of XP, when I have it on my PC already. Maybe I can ring MS and see what they advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?