PC Gaming upgrade help please.

SamHodges 22:23 22 Apr 2019

Hi

About 4(ish) years ago now i purchased and custom built, with some help of a friend, my first gaming pc. At the time it ran amazingly. Any steam game i tried to run, worked. The only problem i have now is i stopped playing for a couple of years and used it merely for work and browsing.

Now has come the time i want to play again, i feel the PC is out of date. It's slow, struggles to run games and just isn't the PC it used to be. The next problem being, i don't know a hell of a lot about the upgrading side of gaming PC's and was wondering if anyone could help me with what would be the best thing to start to upgrade to bring my PC back to life.

I have ensured all drivers are up to date.

My specs are (via Speccy):

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz 42 °C Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z87-HD3 (SOCKET 0)28 °C

Graphics: BenQ GL2450H ([email protected]), Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte), 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)41 °C, ForceWare version: 388.13, SLI Disabled

Storage: 931GB Seagate ST1000DM ST1000DM003-1ER1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Optical Drives: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB SCSI CdRom Device

(Sorry if i come across stupid with anything I've said. I'm still getting my head around PC's!)

Thanks in advance!

Sam.

Menzie 13:25 23 Apr 2019

Your CPU may be a bottleneck with anything beyond a GTX 1060. Overall the 970 is still a decent card which can offer 60fps in many games at 1080p with the details turned down a tad.

First the basics:

Have you performed any maintenance on the PC?

This includes:

• Opening the case and cleaning out the dust with a can of compressed air.

• Performing a clean-up of the system using software like CCleaner. In severe cases backing up your data and performing a fresh install if the system has become bogged down over the years.

• Ensuring all drivers are up to date.

As for upgrades the following would help:

• SSD Drive - Doesn't boost frame rates but will make your PC much more responsive and quicker in day to day usage.

• GeForce 1660Ti - Faster than the 970 and since your Power Supply supports the 970 there should be no issue with such an upgrade. It will be slightly bottlenecked by your CPU however.

• Doubling your memory, 16GB is really the sweet spot for a gaming PC nowadays.

It could also be possible to upgrade to an i7 4770, however with what you'd pay for a new processor you might as well in this case get a current entry level CPU, motherboard (current one wouldn't work) and RAM (newer systems use DDR4).

These suggestions would help your system, my personal recommendation if you're going to upgrade the hardware, is to carry on using what you have currently. While setting aside some money for a new build. 4 years is a pretty good run for a gaming PC.

A comparison of the 1660Ti versus the 970 with many popular games can be found here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE is the UK's first 5G network, launching next week

Philips 499P9H monitor review – this 49-inch screen turns heads and will make your colleagues…

MacBook Pro Buying Guide: 13in vs 15in MacBook Pro

Test : casque audio Avanti C de Moshi