New First Time Self Build Advice

Sasume33 19:08 26 Oct 2017

Hi, So well it is my first time doing a self build PC. Had a friend helping me out choosing parts just wanted to know if everything works together and in your expert opinion would you change anything? Bare in mind I'm not looking for a beast. I'm just way behind in my gaming days and anything that would tear down games back in time would be appreciated. Witcher 3 as the limit does not have to be on Ultra Details.

Specs: Motherboard: GIGABYTE Intel H110 GA-H110M-H (Socket 1151) Micro ATX Motherboard DDR3 CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz Socket 1151 6MB L3 Graph. Card: Well that is a pickle either GTX 1050 or GTX 1060 RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Power Supply: Corsair VS Series 450 Watt Power Supply Drive: Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5inch SATAIII SSD

Thanks in advance for the tech support!

Menzie 01:37 27 Oct 2017

Is there any reason in particular that you're going for the old gen Intel chips and not a more recent one?

I'd also go for 16GB of RAM for anything gaming related these days.

Sasume33 02:39 27 Oct 2017

I'm not looking for anything "these days". I'm aiming more for back in the days.

Examples: Crysis, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dead Space, DMC, Prototype, Borderlands, Witcher

In this area, so well they are kind of old but well I did not play them yet well maby only 1st parts of them but the newer ones no, so that is what I'm aiming for and for that reason I do not need a rocket ship I need a semi high end gaming PC because if anything I can always upgrade parts of the PC in the future if there will be a need for it

Menzie 00:06 28 Oct 2017

Those components should work for the games you mentioned.

However as you are looking for my opinion. I wouldn't build a PC using a CPU that is several generations old. Generally in retail the older CPUs aren't much different in price.

As you have stated in the future you might want to upgrade. With the current list you'll have to change your motherboard and RAM to change your CPU.

If playing those games and only those games is your mission the specs listed will do it.

It's not about building a "rocket ship," it is about getting specs that will remain current for as long as possible and therefore maximising value for money.

martd7 16:26 28 Oct 2017

You may want to look at upgrading the psu as well,thats dependent on which version of the 1050 or 1060 you purchase,a 600w wwill leave you room for upgrades in the future

Jollyjohn 16:57 28 Oct 2017

Double check your motherboard / ram - when I looked up your motherboard it claims it is DDR4 - not DDR3 as you suggested - make sure you get the correct RAM.

I agree with Menzie that although this is OK, when you come to upgrade you will need a new motherboard and cpu etc etc. If you base your build on the best motherboard you can stretch to it will give more options later.

Old Deuteronomy 16:46 30 Oct 2017

The motherboard is indeed DDR4 (Gigabyte website) so you must use DDR4 RAM. DDR3 will not fit, let alone work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Chromebook 15 (315) review

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?