Is it worth upgrading my current gaming PC?

BurnerMF 14:49 16 Oct 2019
Answered

Hi,I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading my current gaming PC. I don't really know where to start or if it's just easier to buy a whole new system. I originally built my PC in 2015 so I think most of the components are becoming obsolete. I tried playing BF5 today and it's like trying to playing through still frames.

Specs:

• BitFenix Comrade Midi-Tower
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - HDD
  • LiteOn 24x Internal SATA DVD RW Drive
  • AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor
  • 8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Dual Channel Kit
  • Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD Graphics Card 2GB Graphics Card
  • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3+ Motherboard
  • EVGA 500W 80 Plus Power Supply

Running windows 7 64bit os

I'm pretty sure the ram needs upgraded, as well as the graphics card but then I don't know if it's so old that I will also need to upgrade everything else to cope with that and I don't know what will fit.

The alternative is I just go out and buy a new one. I'm interested in the one they are selling at ALDI just now. It's in my budget and looks like a decent setup but if I can easily upgrade this one for a few hundred quid to a similar spec, I'd obviously rather do that.

Cheers

Menzie 19:51 16 Oct 2019
Answer

I know what you'd like to hear, but the truth is you should start from new.

Your CPU, GPU and RAM specs are all below the recommended requirements to run this game comfortably.

Your CPU is below the minimum requirements as well as the amount of memory you have (although your video card meets the minimum).

If the Aldi PC you're thinking of is the one I'm thinking (the one for £949) of it would be a good base to start afresh from.

If you upgraded the GPU and RAM in your current PC the CPU would be the bottleneck. If you upgraded the CPU (your board could take an FX8350) it would still bottleneck with the newer video cards on the market.

BurnerMF 21:05 16 Oct 2019

Yeah, I thought that might be the case.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get a new one.

Cheers.

mrgrumpy 22:53 16 Oct 2019

Hi Burner , Menzie is right you need to replace your pc because upgrading an old machine for today latest component's can be a money eater , A wont work with B and B wont work with C , you get the idea.

I do have a suggestion for you before you buy a new pc. Reboot your pc to factory settings and get the free upgrade to windows 10 , despite what Microsoft say you can still get free upgrade to go from 7 to 10 . Next play around with 10 on your old pc so that you can familiarise yourself with the new op system.

When you get your new pc keep your old one as a standby/guinea pig/test bed.

I have an expensive games rig but before I download any software I always put it on my spare cheepo 10 rig first and if something goes wrong I don't put it on my games rig.

AlanMatthews 19:49 27 Oct 2019

I totally agree that you need to start from new. You don't have to spend so much time updating your current gaming PC. But if you are not sure and need more resources on this, just do a search.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans TV (2019)