Display goes into power save mode during gaming

dumbldoras 19:19 13 Dec 2018

I'm having a problem, which started to bothering me. During game play, my monitor randomly goes off into power save mode. It happens for the past year or a little longer. Sometimes when the monitor goes off I can hear everything: youtube, discord, etc. Sometimes I can only hear for next 5-10sec and everything goes quiet. But computer itself never shut down, all the fans are spinning, etc. The only possible way to make monitor turn on is hard restart. The most weird thing to me is, that it could be 2-3 months without this issue, but after it happens once, I know that it will happen more times in short period of time. After some time, let's say a week it stops and doesn't occur till after another month or so.

I have tried a lot of solutions and have read a lot of forum threads regarding this. Key points:

Not overheating, CPU max temp is 60C, GPU max temp is 75C after few hours of intense playing. Tried reinstalling Windows 10. Tried reinstalling GPU drivers with DDU. Tried clearing out all the dust with canned air. Tried reconecting all the cables. Tried disabling all sleep, screen saver and etc options, so the PC would never go to sleep Power plan set to highest performance Ran Memtest, hdd check

My PC specifications are:

CPU: Intel i5-4460 GPU: Nvidia Geforce 970 HSF: Scythe Katana 4 PSU: Cooler Master RS-700-ACAB-01 HDD: ST2000DM001-1ER164 SSD: Kingston SV300S37A2204G

One more thing I've noticed. I'm playing Path of Exile the most and if I set it to use DX9, I never get this problem. As soon as I set it on DX11, I know I will get this problem at some point. Does this mean, that the problem is either Software or GPU related?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: Okay, I've tried to downlocking my GPU clock, didn't helped. Edit2: I don't know why this happens, but sometimes, not just display goes off, but the whole system freezes. Sometimes I can still hear sound after monitor goes black. But when the system freezes, few sec before that it seems, that something loses power, weird sound comes out of headphones, like the power went off for a sec. Edite3: Looked at event viewer and found a warning and erro, that happens just before blacking out. Warning: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Error: The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3 ffffffff(ffffffff) ffffffff ffffffff

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

I've changed the PSU to new one, which has gold plus certificate. It didn't solved the problem. Any ideas what should I check next? It is probably GPU problem isn't it?

I've also reinstalled windows with clean install, formating everything, etc.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P30 Pro review: hands-on

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple TV Plus streaming service launch, release date and price

Huawei P30 et P30 Pro : date de sortie, prix et fiches techniques