Computer wouldn't turn on for a while

eduniga 16:25 14 Feb 2019

Since 2 days ago, I was trying to overclock my gpu with MSI afterburner, I only changed the Clock to 150+ MHz, and the memory clock to 600+ MHz, didn't change the voltage core and left the power limit to the max. I performed a stress test for half and hour, later I started playing Apex Legends and things went smoothly. The next day I played Apex Legends again, had the game crash once, but still played a couple of matches. I stopped playing, later I was surfing around the web when suddenly I get BSOD with a message saying: Faulty Component Corrupted Page. The PC restarted, and as soon as it boot up to the windows desktop, the screen quickly faded to black. I tried to turn on the computer and suddenly nothing happened when I pressed the power button. I kept pressing it, nothing happened. After 20 minutes I pressed the power button and it boot up windows normally. My question is, was this caused by the overclock? I guess the obvious answer is yes but from what I've read, you should expect crashes/bsod and artifacts by overclocking the GPU, but I haven't read that you could have problems turning on your PC. Is this normal behavior for overclocking? As you can tell I'm new to this overclocking thing.

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 8350 with hyper evo 212x cooler RAM: 1 stick 8GB PNY RDD3 GPU: GTX 1050 ti MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P PSU:Corsair 750 Watt

KEITH 1955 18:12 14 Feb 2019

somebody might tell me I am wrong but my own personal opinion for the crashes is that you are only using 8 gb ram so overclocking might be putting too much demand on it , start a game then open task manager and see how much of your ram is being used.

eduniga 19:03 14 Feb 2019

Alright thanks for the tip. Might try it sometime. But I'm probably too scared to try overclocking again after that incident XD.

Jollyjohn 22:16 16 Feb 2019

Overheating? Try click here Speedfan to check temperatures

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple TV Plus streaming service launch, release date and price

Apple TV+ : date de sortie, prix et catalogue