After Cleaning My PC, I'm Having FPS Drops

mcihan17 11:27 18 May 2019

Greetings, this is my system;

MSI GTX 960 2 GB

MSI H110m Pro-VD

Intel i3 6098p (with stock fan)

Hi-Level 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM

1 TB 7200 RPM Sata3 HDD

2 Days ago, I thought my PC has a lot of dust and I decided to clean it. I removed the processor, GPU and RAM; then used a hairdryer with cold mode to remove the dust. ( I haven't removed HDD). I renewed thermal paste on CPU. After doing these, I re-attached all the pieces and started the PC. The PC opened but there was no view on screen. Just black. After that;

First, I checked all the cables and connections in the case if there are any missing. There wasn't.

Second, I detached and re-attached the GPU and trie again. Still no view.

Third, I detached and re-attached the CPU and renewed the thermal paste again. Still the same.

Finaly, I detached the RAM and tried other RAM slot. And then trying the same slot again. Something interesting happened here. I thought I somehow, re-attached the RAM reverse. Because when I detached it and it was in my hand, it was reverse. But this is most likely not happened. I carefully re-attached the RAM correctly to the RAM slot and started PC. It opened and I got view.

After PC has opened, I opened Dark Souls 3 which I used to play with no FPS problems and got shocked. It was like 10 FPS or even less. I haven't changed any graphics settings. I tried to play some other games and it was still the same. So I decided to detect the problem and have done these:

Firstly, I thought it may be because of RAM. I run Windows Memory Diagnostic but it didnt find any problems.

After that, I checked temperature numbers with MSI afterburner. CPU idle was around 25-30 celsius. In game, CPU was around 50 and GPU wasn't passing 60.

Then I thought maybe something happened with the HDD when I opened the case. I scanned with HD Tune software but nothing came up. The Scanning took approximately 2 hours. Also nothing wrong with the HDD health.

Then I thogught maybe I have virus. Maybe some kind of virus was using my GPU power for mining I dunno. I scanned PC with Avast and Malwarebytes anti-malware. Avast didnt find anything. Malwarebytes found around 8 malwares. I moved them to quarantine but this also havent solved my problem.

After that, I suspected from the RAM again and used Memtest86 software for both RAM slots to test. Each test took about 2 and half hours and nothing came up.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled all NVIDIA drivers. After reinstalling, I rebooted the PC and opened Dark Souls 3. The game was clean just like it was in past. It seemed like the problem was solved. After that, I wanted to test another game. It was Sekiro. I opened the game and FPS was awful. Then I returned back to Dark Souls 3 and still, FPS was very low.

Then I realized I had 100% disk usage issue. I fixed this issue but it didn't solve my problem

Finaly, I formated my PC and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. I installed drivers and made my system ready. Of course, that AAA games were gone and It would took too long to re-download and install them. I installed League of Legends. Drivers and the game were both installed at same time.

I directly tested the game and FPS was very low. I used to got around 150 FPS. Then I thought, maybe I need to reboot for the drivers to be active. I rebooted and opened the game again. FPS was good in the beginning but it eventually dropped again.

Now when I play games, sometimes FPS is good, sometimes it drops. When it drops, I restart the game or do things that reload the game like disabling/enabling v-sync, changing some graphic settings etc. This sometimes fixes the problem, sometimes not. I do it until it fixes. Then, I reach to the next level, the game reloads, I get FPS drops again.

Now I'm out of ideas on what the hell is happening to my PC. I did Furmark and AIDA64 stress tests for GPU and CPU, and I will post the results here via links. I will also post HDtune and HD Sentinel HDD health status screenshots. Please help me to fix this problem. Thanks in advance!

Furmark&AIDA64: click here Sentinel: click here Tune: click here

HD HD

mcihan17 12:41 19 May 2019

You may be right about malwares and their segments but the thing is, I wasn't having this problem before I opened up my PC and cleaned it. And also as I said, I formatted my PC and installed clean Windows 10. By doing so, I formatted all of my HDD and re-created disk partitions again (2 partitions, C and D). So I don't think it's about malwares or viruses.

mcihan17 19:26 19 May 2019

It's connected to the GPU. Unfortunetely, I don't have a spare card to test it out. But I always cleanse myself from static electric before opening up my case. Maybe I could't do it right last time, I don't know. But the card's furmark stress test result seems allright.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G