Advice on my build before I buy ?

Michael Clarey 12:13 27 Aug 2019

Hi, this is my first gaming laptop build and I'm looking for advice on my spec. If I have gone overboard on anything or I could add anything to compensate please let me know. Thank you.

wee eddie 13:20 27 Aug 2019

You missed the Link

Michael Clarey 13:33 27 Aug 2019

Sorry....click here

Menzie 17:32 27 Aug 2019

Overall a good spec, it all depends on what your plans are. Having a 500GB drive for storage sounds like a lot initially but remember; today's games can easily take up 1/5 of that once you factor in patches, mods and the like.

If you'll be playing a game or two at a time this is adequate. If you want your library installed and ready to play, more storage would be needed.

Flat Earther 00:56 29 Aug 2019

The trouble with the Gaming Laptops that use desktop CPUs is they struggle to cool them, you'll see many threads with people complaining that their high spec laptop thermal throttles after a few minutes of gaming.

grumpy old man 12:55 29 Aug 2019

Hi Michael I am glad I looked at the link before answering you , as you gone to the site I was going to send you to.

I take it the build did not throw up any mismatch or overkill at the end. I got a games rig and a spare pc for general use from them. Ignore promised delivery date it MIGHT not happen. I see you took out extra cover , good move , save packing and box. They no longer supply windows on a disc but manual tells you how to make iso image. As you are going to do gaming get the cooling stand they offer or look on amazon. Get dead pixel cover cos if some die it will annoy the hell out of you , its like a crack in the wall syndrome , you don't see the nicely decorated room you only ever see the crack in the wall.

grumpy old man 13:05 29 Aug 2019

I just saw what menzie said about 500gb , I added the 960gb ssd at the top of the list to your build it a cost of £80 , the build checker did you show any problems so you could put steam and all you other games on that one.

you really do need a big drive for games as for example the latest update to gta 5 took it to 85 gb

grumpy old man 13:45 29 Aug 2019

typo …….. it should say the build checker DID NOT report a problem so you can have 500 for general use and 900 for games , did you notice it will ask you if you want windows on the m.2

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Is it safe to use NordVPN?

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)