Wifi in stone house with 2 electrical circuits

DebCrouch 08:53 27 Jul 2019

We have a home with all thick walls between all rooms but the added complication that we have 2 electrical socket circuits so we can only reach part of the house with wifi powerlines. The remaining part and upstairs above we can only reach with a long extension lead with another wifi powerline plugged in so not very pretty. I've been looking at the great mesh reviews here and especially interested at those with added powerline functionality but my concern is that with the additional socket circuit we still wont be able to make this work. Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received please. Thanks Deb.

Forum Editor 09:35 27 Jul 2019

Most houses have separate ring-main circuits for different floors. Powerline adapters can certainly work across two circuits, but you may encounter problems specific to your circuits.

I have had no personal experience with the Mesh technologies, but it looks good in principle.

wee eddie 09:49 27 Jul 2019

If you have a single entry point and meter, you should be OK with the Powerline Kit

john bunyan 19:27 27 Jul 2019

I have a similar house, and after looking at reviews , bought a mesh / LAN set up : Devolo Magic 2 a starter kit is here

Amazon

I have two extra plugs, ie base station attached to router and one each in upstairs room where my desktop is, anther in main bedroom near a TV , the old one of which was on the LAN, and a third downstairs near the garden. This system is on 2 mains circuits. The plugs have wi fi AND 2 x LAN sockets and are set with router wi fi WAP code. They have a pass through socket so don’t occupy a mains socket needed for other things. You can even switch off the white lights , for example in bedroom if distracting. Expensive but very good. I had a few set up issues but all ok and get no loss of wi fi where they are, and my desktop upstairs, linked on a LAN socket on one , acts as if plugged into the router which is downstairs with the base unit.

polymath 21:37 30 Jul 2019

Thanks, john bunyan - sounds just the thing for my stone house as well! It's saved me some research.

wee eddie 23:19 30 Jul 2019

The Pass-through ones are worth their weight in gold. Also it might be a good idea to get one that acts as a WiFi Hub and put it at the point farthest away from your Router

oftmarshall678 16:19 06 Aug 2019

I'm experiencing a similar problem too. Have a wardrobe and wall that restrict my phone access to the Wi-Fi. It's important for me since I read here( click here ) about Wi-Fi cameras and got hooked into this. So I've read some reviews. And heard about powerline adaptors. I think i will test it and share my opinion.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique