Hot Topics

Why is battery running down so quickly?

Pineman100 16:39 16 Jul 2016

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S Advance 19070P Android phone. It's several years old, but until recently has worked flawlessly.

As of a few months ago, however, it has started to consume its battery very quickly. Thinking this was due to a deterioration in the battery, I bought a new one (Samsung original - not cheap rubbish). But this has made no difference. From a full battery first thing in the morning to a completely flat battery is no more than 4 hours - and that's on standby, with no calls or texts sent or received.

No external factors have changed - location, proximity to the mast, phone functions enabled, screen brightness... everything is at it was when the phone used to run up to 2 days on one charge.

Do you have any thoughts on what might be causing this rapid discharge, please, and how to resolve the problem?

BRYNIT 19:22 16 Jul 2016

It could be age it could be an app or something install on the phone. I don't know if its the same on the samsung but on my LG under setting-general-app I can see what's running also under settings-general-battery-battery usage I can see what's using the battery and disable anything that not required. If the brightness has been turned up or anything these moving wallpaper images use a lot of battery power.

You could also try resetting the phone back to factory default and reinstall the apps to see if this helps.

FameRuiz 00:27 17 Jul 2016

If it's not due to battery deterioration, it might have something to do with an app that has recently been installed on the phone.

Pineman100 10:06 17 Jul 2016

Many thanks to you both for those responses.

I have found a display on the phone that shows which functions are using the most battery. Google Play Service is using 80% !! That can't be right, can it? Any thoughts on what I can do about it, please?

robin_x 15:28 17 Jul 2016

Couple of Google Play Battery Drain links in this search

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

How to draw an eye

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleurs ├ęcouteurs et casques audio pas chers (2020)