Why is battery running down so quickly?

Pineman100 16:39 16 Jul 2016

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S Advance 19070P Android phone. It's several years old, but until recently has worked flawlessly.

As of a few months ago, however, it has started to consume its battery very quickly. Thinking this was due to a deterioration in the battery, I bought a new one (Samsung original - not cheap rubbish). But this has made no difference. From a full battery first thing in the morning to a completely flat battery is no more than 4 hours - and that's on standby, with no calls or texts sent or received.

No external factors have changed - location, proximity to the mast, phone functions enabled, screen brightness... everything is at it was when the phone used to run up to 2 days on one charge.

Do you have any thoughts on what might be causing this rapid discharge, please, and how to resolve the problem?

BRYNIT 19:22 16 Jul 2016

It could be age it could be an app or something install on the phone. I don't know if its the same on the samsung but on my LG under setting-general-app I can see what's running also under settings-general-battery-battery usage I can see what's using the battery and disable anything that not required. If the brightness has been turned up or anything these moving wallpaper images use a lot of battery power.

You could also try resetting the phone back to factory default and reinstall the apps to see if this helps.

FameRuiz 00:27 17 Jul 2016

If it's not due to battery deterioration, it might have something to do with an app that has recently been installed on the phone.

Pineman100 10:06 17 Jul 2016

Many thanks to you both for those responses.

I have found a display on the phone that shows which functions are using the most battery. Google Play Service is using 80% !! That can't be right, can it? Any thoughts on what I can do about it, please?

robin_x 15:28 17 Jul 2016

Couple of Google Play Battery Drain links in this search

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)