What to do with MP4 files?

Hillbilly2002 19:20 06 Dec 2007

I recently bought a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG65 SD Card Camcorder which creates video in MP4 format. I checked with Cyberlink who told me I needed PowerDirector v6 to read MP4 files. I bought the software and it repeatedly crashes. Cyberlink now tell me PowerDirector doesnt't import MP4, even though the User Guide says it does. Has anyone any advice on what I can do to these files to get the software to accept them? I'm a video editing neewbie.

six-h 20:41 06 Dec 2007

I play MPEG4 files with iTunes, or Quicktime player.
I would think that the necessary codecs would be available to enable you to play them in Windows Media Player, but I'm no expert!

six-h 20:53 06 Dec 2007

Sorry, must remember to read the question!!!
Found this on Google: -click here

anchor 10:49 07 Dec 2007

My son has got a new camera that records in mp4. I can play them using the free Quick Time Player.

I wished to edit a short test video he sent by e-mail from France. As I only have Windows Movie Maker, I had to first convert it into AVI format. For this I used the free SUPER ©.

click here

I imported the resultant AVI file into Windows Movie maker to edit, saving as a WMV file.

Here is an example of the short test I made from mp4.

click here

If you then wish to burn to a DVD you can use the free DVD Flick to convert and burn.

ps: It is not easy to find the download page for Super, but stick with it; I did find it in the end.

anchor 10:55 07 Dec 2007

For the benefit of anyone who has a camera that records in MOV format, (as mine does), the same procedure would apply.

six-h 17:24 07 Dec 2007

Super ©...wow, looks like the Swiss Army Knife of video converters!
Having ploughed through the website, and the FAQ's, it seems a little daunting, can you advise if it is easy for dummies like me to use??..:-0

MCE2K5 20:56 07 Dec 2007

"can you advise if it is easy for dummies like me to use??..:-0"

Oh Yes, Easy Peasy.

six-h 22:15 07 Dec 2007

MCE2K5,
Thanks,...not heard that expression since Aneka Rice was on the TV....eek!

MCE2K5 22:42 07 Dec 2007

It goes way back in time.

Washing-up Liquid advert,

Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy.

anchor 09:11 08 Dec 2007

Super ©

Yes, I did find it easy to use. I made a few short tests first to find the best settings.

Hillbilly2002 11:24 08 Dec 2007

Thanks for the tip six-h, I got quite excited there for a minute. But... when I follow the dogcamsport instructions it falls over at the point where I have to import the file into Windows Movie Maker. Like most of these programs MP4 is an unsupported file type.
Having a go at SUPER (c) now (thanks anchor). Fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?