Using UK smartphone in Italy with Italian SIM card

PaulTodd 13:09 07 Aug 2014

Is it possible for me to place an Italian SIM card in a UK-purchased smartphone and then use it in Italy for local calls and data? I have heard that some phones sold in the UK won't work when loaded with a foreign SIM. I plan to use a Motorola Moto G.

alanrwood 16:54 07 Aug 2014

If your Moto G is unlocked it should work with any sim UK or Foreign. If you want to do this try and buy an unlocked one to start with. EG buying a Tesco locked one will cost around £2.50 to get an unlock code but this still leaves the default voicemail number as Tesco's number which can't be changed without flashing the rom.

Batch 09:20 10 Aug 2014

The Moto G uses a microSIM card and so you would need to get an Italian providers microSIM. And as alanrwood says your phone will need to be unlocked.

AroundAgain 10:25 10 Aug 2014

Check with where you bought it whether locked or not before spending money on another mobile or a sim card. They should be able to confirm if un/locked

alanrwood 19:28 10 Aug 2014

Cheaper is to borrow a friends micro sim and see if it works. If it is still a locked phone it will cost about £2 on eBay for an unlock code. They are normally emailed back to you within a couple of hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?