Using secondary router to extend wifi but problems

welshgirl1961 13:02 05 Dec 2017

I have a primary router upstairs and have connected my old router via ethernet and powerline adapters for use downstairs. As a result we have great signals from both and the Android devices are working just fine However, the Windows based laptops won't reach any website except the Gmail server. I am getting 'site can't be reached' nearly every time. Occasionally they will get through so I imagine it's speed. I checked the bband signal using an android device and it is identical whichever router you connect to so I have no reason to think the secondary is slowing the network. Can't live without the laptops so for now have turned the secondary router off and hey presto Windows laptops working again. Any ideas as to what's happening here. For info this was the recommended set up: I reset the secondary router and changed the IPv4 address to one well away from the master. I disabled DHCP on the secondary. I changed the SSID name to call it a slave. It still demands it's original passkey to get initial access (I half expected it to want the same as the master!?!) Ethernet connections to each router from powerline adapters. So frustrating to have the Androids working on full house coverage but bog all access from Windows. Please help.

Jollyjohn 13:14 05 Dec 2017

If you plug an ethernet cable from secondary router to laptop do you get connected? If yes then can you set Secondary router to "DMZ" mode - probably in advanced options. This will make it transparent on the network.

Note once you have set it to DMZ mode you will not be able to see it and if you need to make changes you will need to do a hard reset and start again.

Jollyjohn 13:42 05 Dec 2017

I would only ever suggest a secondary router being used in DMZ mode as the Primary router will still handle the internet connection and direct traffic via NAT. The secondary router cannot bypass this.

Jollyjohn 15:37 05 Dec 2017

Demilitarised zone. Placing the secondary router in DMZ will allow all traffic to pass through it, without it affecting that traffic. The router won't hand out ip addresses or try and route traffic to any particular source. For what the OP has asked to do this is a possible solution. I have used it in the past to turn an old router into a simple wifi access point. That is how I know that once in DMZ mode, the router disappears since it no longer has it's own ip address and therefore a hard reset is needed to get back into it.

Forum Editor 18:19 05 Dec 2017

Don't entertain any thoughts of DMZ mode - it's supported by almost all routers, but the security risks are considerable.

Take a look at this instead.

Alternatively, do what I do and use one of these It is without a doubt the best wireless range extender I have ever used. It sets itself up with minimal input from you, and then just gets on with its job.

Forum Editor 22:45 05 Dec 2017

Lorraine Baines-McFly

"There is no such thing as putting a Router in DMZ mode."

I didn't say there was - I suggest you read what I wrote, rather than what you decided I wrote. I said DMZ mode is supported by most routers, and it is. You'll find an option in your router's WAN settings to select a default DMZ server, which will be the computer on your network that you have designated as the DMZ server.

That's the computer that will be exposed to internet exploits.

Let's hope that's cleared up any confusion.

Forum Editor 09:48 06 Dec 2017

Lorraine Baines-McFly

"DMZ Server? No such thing."

Maybe it's time for you to get yourself up to speed on this. We're not helping welshgirl1961 by dancing on the head of this pin.

NetGear - who should know a thing or two on the subject - say this:-

"For security, NETGEAR strongly recommends that you avoid using the Default DMZ Server feature. When a computer is designated as the Default DMZ Server, it loses much of the protection of the firewall, and is exposed to many exploits from the Internet. If compromised, the computer can be used to attack your network."

We're almost always dealing with home users in this forum, and in that context the word 'host' can be used as a substitute for 'server' - any local device on the network can be designated as the DMZ host (server). Probably the devices most often selected are Play Stations or Xboxes. When enabling DMZ on a broadband router the important thing is to use a static IP address for the selected server/host, so you avoid the possibility of another device inheriting a dynamically assigned one and itself becoming the DMZ server/host.

That's it, I'm out as they say on Dragons den.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)