Hot Topics

USB Charging Points On Buses.

Aitchbee 20:27 18 Feb 2019
Answered

I've noticed that many of the new local buses have USB charging points where one is free to plug in one's device for a battery charge.

Is it safe to use these 'freebies' or is there a catch?

Does anybody on the forum use them?

BT 09:14 19 Feb 2019

Also WiFi is appearing on our local busses. Beats me why people can't manage a short bus journey without having to need access to the internet.

Bit of a dilemma in the Doctors waiting room. Big sign saying 'Turn off your Mobile' and another one saying 'WiFi now available'.

Forum Editor 15:13 19 Feb 2019

"Is it safe to use these 'freebies' or is there a catch?"

I can see no reason why it shouldn't be safe - what could the catch possibly be?

Menzie 15:43 19 Feb 2019

The buses here have them too as well as the underground trains.

As much as buses cost these days it is about time.

When I arrived in the UK it was 20p for a child and 30p for an adult fare. More if you took a longer journey. Now I hear it's North of £2!

Aitchbee 16:01 19 Feb 2019

I can see no reason why it shouldn't be safe - what could the catch possibly be?

FE, there's a risk (remote it maybe) of one's data being 'Juice-jacked'.

Luckily, there is an adapter which can be used to eliminate this risk, so the risk must exist!

I won't give a link in case you think I'm a spammer ;o]

Forum Editor 17:41 19 Feb 2019
Answer

"FE, there's a risk (remote it maybe) of one's data being 'Juice-jacked'."

Yes, there is a remote possibility but I hardly think a bus company is interested in doing that, and a third party would have to get access to the charging device on the bus. I have used charge points on trains and planes for some time, and (so far) all has been well. I carry a portable power bank and plug it in. Then I use it to charge my phone - that way my phone is never directly linked to the charge point anyway.

If it's a matter of concern, you could always buy one of these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

7 ways Alexa can make lockdown more bearable

Facebook Shops: How and when can I sell on Facebook and Instagram?

Different Think: Why Apple needs to stop being so cheap

Confidentialité : comment bloquer les pubs et empêcher les annonceurs de vous suivre ?