USB Charging Points On Buses.

Aitchbee 20:27 18 Feb 2019
Answered

I've noticed that many of the new local buses have USB charging points where one is free to plug in one's device for a battery charge.

Is it safe to use these 'freebies' or is there a catch?

Does anybody on the forum use them?

BT 09:14 19 Feb 2019

Also WiFi is appearing on our local busses. Beats me why people can't manage a short bus journey without having to need access to the internet.

Bit of a dilemma in the Doctors waiting room. Big sign saying 'Turn off your Mobile' and another one saying 'WiFi now available'.

Forum Editor 15:13 19 Feb 2019

"Is it safe to use these 'freebies' or is there a catch?"

I can see no reason why it shouldn't be safe - what could the catch possibly be?

Menzie 15:43 19 Feb 2019

The buses here have them too as well as the underground trains.

As much as buses cost these days it is about time.

When I arrived in the UK it was 20p for a child and 30p for an adult fare. More if you took a longer journey. Now I hear it's North of £2!

Aitchbee 16:01 19 Feb 2019

I can see no reason why it shouldn't be safe - what could the catch possibly be?

FE, there's a risk (remote it maybe) of one's data being 'Juice-jacked'.

Luckily, there is an adapter which can be used to eliminate this risk, so the risk must exist!

I won't give a link in case you think I'm a spammer ;o]

Forum Editor 17:41 19 Feb 2019
Answer

"FE, there's a risk (remote it maybe) of one's data being 'Juice-jacked'."

Yes, there is a remote possibility but I hardly think a bus company is interested in doing that, and a third party would have to get access to the charging device on the bus. I have used charge points on trains and planes for some time, and (so far) all has been well. I carry a portable power bank and plug it in. Then I use it to charge my phone - that way my phone is never directly linked to the charge point anyway.

If it's a matter of concern, you could always buy one of these.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?