TV speaker not working when connected to HDMI

rnmeow 22:20 19 Nov 2016

Hi just wanted to ask for help. I have connected my laptop to my TV (used 2 different HDMI cables) but they use the laptop speaker by default. Even if I check playback devices and show "disabled + disconnected devices" only the speakers show up. (Even if I put on my headphones it works but doesn't show any other device).

I've also tried updating using windows updates (I'm using windows 10 64bit), realtek audio.

Would like to ask for your help I'd appreciate it a lot! Sending a pic for reference. Thanks

Jollyjohn 08:19 20 Nov 2016

Look at Graphics card properties and see if there is a "Use HDMI for sound" setting

rnmeow 10:00 20 Nov 2016

Hiya! Thanks for your attention to my email.

I can't figure out where to check if there is a setting saying "use HDMI for sound", I've tried to check and I've only come to this (see picture). click here

Also, I'm using an asus zenbook UX305-LA Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2195 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s). Other details which might be helpful can be seen in the attached pic. click here

I was able to used the same HDMI cord on another TV around 2 months ago and it worked fine so I don't know why it isn't automatically using the tv speaker for playback output. Any kind of help is appreciated! Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 20 Nov 2016

Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Control Panel.

Click on Hardware and Sound.

Double click on Sound.

Under the Playback tab, you should see your HDMI Device.

Right click on it and select Set as Default Device.

Click OK.

Belatucadrus 15:18 20 Nov 2016

Well I've connected a TV to my W8 laptop via HDMI and it connects automatically and defaults to TV speakers without any input from me. It also shows up in the sound playback window. I checked in device manager and there's no indication that it required any additional drivers. So I can't see any logical reason why the laptop doesn't see the TV, which brings me to one possible suggestion, maybe daft but it's all I can come up with so far.

Are both ends of the HDMI cable plugged in firmly and all the way in.

In the absence of anything computerized I'm defaulting to a possible physical connection problem between the devices.

Forum Editor 11:11 21 Nov 2016

Moved to Digital home and smartphones help from Speakers Corner.

I am Spartacus 14:00 21 Nov 2016

In Device Manager under the Sound heading do you have an entry for Intel SSD Audio Device? I think that is related to HDMI input.

Also I'd try another cable just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch