TV cam slot

oldnovice 13:38 18 Mar 2007

I have cam slot in my TV is it only for top up TV or can it be used for other sources i did google this but found it a bit confusing.
Thank you

rodriguez 13:53 18 Mar 2007

CAM slots are mainly used for Top-Up TV and I can't think of any other uses. They just allow viewing cards to be inserted. There is one on the back of Sky DigiBoxes (there's a plate that can be removed with 2 screws and it's behind there) where you can plug in other CAMS (such as Dragon Cam) to view foreign subscripton services.

oldnovice 14:11 18 Mar 2007

thanks for prompt reply rodriguez does that mean because my digital is through an aerial and not through a sat dish i will only be able to get top-up TV.

rodriguez 15:07 18 Mar 2007

Yes, the foreign satellite CAMs are for just that - satellite. In fact you still need to move your dish round to point at the foreign satellite to recieve them. This is what some foreign expats who live in Britain do - the Turkish guy who runs the local chippy has his tuned to Turksat so he gets all the Turkish channels. On our TV aerials we only get 5 ( still 4 in some areas) analogue TV channels, Freeview channels and Top-Up TV channels and radio. Nothing else. In the south of the country, sometimes changes in weather pressure can bring in a weak Belgian or Dutch TV singal - but these are without sound as they use PAL-G and we use PAL-I, but still not dtrong enough for foreign digital.

oldnovice 15:32 18 Mar 2007

Thankyou all is now clear

Stuartli 23:34 18 Mar 2007

Some info about cards which are available:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?