Transferring Email address from Virgin to BT

tony-guitar 18:24 13 Dec 2016

Hi, I've been with Virgin Media (used to be Telewest) for over 15 years and have an email address [email protected] I don't use Virgins' email system, instead I have Office2007 installed and therefore use Outlook 2007. We are in the process of moving home but 'cable' is not in the area, which means we are going to have to dump Virgin and use the installed BT line. My home phone is currently with BT. My question is:- can I keep my 'blueyonder' email address after we move? If not, would you suggest opening a Gmail account and start informing banks, online shops etc before house completion? Thanks for any help you can give.

wee eddie 20:20 13 Dec 2016

It is usual to be allowed to use an email address for a while after you have left a Supplier. (you must remember your Passwords to Log in, of course) Your new supplier will offer you one anyway or, as you say, you could open a Gmail Account which should be good for another 10 years, maybe more.

Nothing is good forever

wee eddie 20:24 13 Dec 2016

As a point of interest. I use one email address for Online Business and separate one for Online Banking.

Neither of these addresses includes any version of my own name, which means that Spam is immediately recognisable

tony-guitar 20:30 13 Dec 2016

Thanks wee eddie. Passwords? eek! I just click on my 'mail' tab and Outlook just opens! Unless you mean my Virgin Media password? It's something I never use, except every few months I have to log in to it just to delete all the emails VM keeps on their servers. I've not changed my email address in more than 15 years, hence panic. However, the first line of your reply is comforting as it gives some breathing space.

wee eddie 21:24 13 Dec 2016

It's that Virgin Password that you "may" need

tony-guitar 22:04 13 Dec 2016

Thank you.

tony-guitar 22:55 13 Dec 2016

wee eddie, a quick question. as I'm with BT with my home phone, if I call them and add broadband with a new email address, (and tell everyone), if I cancel my VM contract, will I lose all my emails, remembering I'm using Outlook 2007 as my email client?

BT 08:09 14 Dec 2016

It is usual to be allowed to use an email address for a while after you have left a Supplier.

I still have an active Email address from Freeserve from 15 years ago. I used to have to re-activate it occasionally but this hasn't been so since Orange took it over.

Secret-Squirrel 08:32 14 Dec 2016

.......we are going to have to dump Virgin............My question is:- can I keep my 'blueyonder' email address after we move?

Here's the answer to that question Tony.

...........if I cancel my VM contract, will I lose all my emails, remembering I'm using Outlook 2007 as my email client?

You won't lose any emails or contacts that are stored in Outlook but you will of course not be able to receive or send any more from that account.

Jollyjohn 11:56 14 Dec 2016

From Secret Squirrl's link you will have 90 days of the virgin address before it stops. I would set up a Gmail eMail address and start using it. If BT supply an eMail address you can use it as well. Personally I would use it for less important stuff. Here is how to add Gmail to outlook click here and it is easy enough to add your BT address if you get one.

tony-guitar 11:20 15 Dec 2016

Hi Jollyjohn, thanks for info. I currently have a Gmail account and emails end up coming to my phone and tablet (friends etc). So I'm thinking of a second Gmail that sits on my pc only. I would only want it to ultimately replace my 'Blueyonder' email account, ie, normal emails you get like ebay, amazon other companies etc. I wouldn't want them going to my phone, it'd drive me nuts!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch