Thinking of Getting a smart Speaker System.

morddwyd 15:17 13 Jan 2019

Read the reviews and just about settled on the one I want, but has anyone got any hands on experience?

wee eddie 17:58 13 Jan 2019

What are you trying to achieve?

morddwyd 18:34 13 Jan 2019

To tell the time without having to turn my phone on, voice activated radio and music streaming.

Do you have experience?

wee eddie 18:49 13 Jan 2019

So long as you have enough money, the world is your lobster

wee eddie 21:23 13 Jan 2019

Do you mean, like Alexander or Sirius?

morddwyd 09:08 14 Jan 2019

No, I'm looking at Sonos, Echo and similar.

The cost should be covered by my disability allowance.

wee eddie 10:24 14 Jan 2019

I did some research (I tried other peoples systems). The sound is acceptable if you are not accustomed to HiFi, and is unlikely to be if you are hard of hearing.

I didn't go down that route but will need to, in the next 10 to 20 years, for my own safety (currently 73 and firing on all cylinders, but how long that will last is in the lap of the Gods)

morddwyd 11:30 14 Jan 2019

Thanks.

After 40 years round jets (pretty up close and personal!) my hearing is not of the best, last time I was checked my hf was about 16k but I suspect it's now down to about 12. Hi fi it ain't! It's mainly background and pop anyway, for serious listening I've got a £300 set of Sennheiser cans.

xavier1945 11:26 28 Jan 2019

Honestly speaking i got Alexa few days back, it just looks cool. That's it. If you're really looking for a "Music" gadget then get Bose's studio headphones.

Forum Editor 16:11 28 Jan 2019

After 40 years round jets (pretty up close and personal!)

Not quite as bad as that - when I was in my teens I spent a lot fewer years standing in front of a Marshall guitar amplifier on a regular basis. I was repeatedly warned that I was damaging my hearing 'it will come home to roost' etc. but plaing the blues was more important at the time (foolish me).

Now, it is duly coming home to roost - hearing aids not far off, I fear.

Have you considered something like this?

It sets itself up, receives an atomic clock signal to keep it accurate, and tells you the time and date when you press a large black button on the top.

morddwyd 19:42 28 Jan 2019

Thanks.

I find Bose much too bass heavy, even for pop, and I object to paying Bose sort of money only to have to use an equaliser!

FE

Thanks, I was looking for a more versatile device. I do have an RNIB Talking Watch, if only I could the instructions on how to set it up! when I was a college H&S Officer I did some checks on a lunchtime concert by the college pop group, just for fun.

Had it been a commercial undertaking I would have just cut the power, if only to protect the audience! The only time I saw readings like it was in the cockpit of a two seat army helicopter, louder even than jets.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?