Hot Topics

Storing spare phone, battery, updates etc.

gazmix 15:05 22 Apr 2020

Hi So i have a Sony compact phone that i've had since it came out & it does all i need but importantly it has FM radio built in. In case anything goes wrong with it as it getting old i bought another refurbished one the same model. My question are what is the best way to store it as i won't be using it until my current phone fails? Battery, updates etc? Should i time to time put my sim card in the spare phone so it gets updates etc & is the battery ok to just drain to zero or should i keep it topped up, powering up the phone occasionally etc.

Advice appreciated.

alanrwood 16:12 22 Apr 2020

Batteries are best stored with around 70% of full charge.

gazmix 16:41 22 Apr 2020

so best to charge it daily bearing in mind i probably won't be using it, putting a SIM card in it etc until i need to use it?

alanrwood 18:31 22 Apr 2020

Charging daily would not be a good idea as it would charge to 100%. Charge it to full the run it down to 70% and then remove and store the battery in a dry secure place. Recheck every month or so if you wish. No need for inserting a sim card until you need to use the new phone. To be honest it might go on for years.

gazmix 20:50 22 Apr 2020

Thanks I'll try to keep it at 70% but yer can't get battery out of phone. U

gazmix 20:55 22 Apr 2020

Soz, yeh it could last years, most likely will now I bought this. It malfunctioned last year and need so planned ahead.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 24 Apr 2020

it could last years

WIfe is still using a nokia 6110 cica 1998, will not give it up, sourced a new battery for it last year so could last another 20 yrs.

Anything more technical she would probably break anyway.

:0)

Forum Editor 23:53 24 Apr 2020

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Why not treat her to a surprise upgrade?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 25 Apr 2020

FE She won't give one the old one as the youngsters regard it as "Retro"

:0)

gazmix 19:05 25 Apr 2020

For reasons i need an FM radio pre-installed that doesn't use data & it has to be a small phone. There's hardly any new phones around nowadays with FM radio built in which is not good..

gazmix 18:44 01 May 2020

so i need fm radio and a small phone.. nothing to do with retro ffs

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

5 Design Tips for Stand-out Packaging in the New Normal

Different Think: Apple, stop being so successful!

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans