Smart heating systems for electric radiators

MuffintheMule 18:29 16 Nov 2016

Having read the smart heating systems reviews, I get the impression that they are all designed for boiler and water-based central heating systems. I have electric radiators and am looking for a wireless heating system that will increase or decrease the temperature of different radiators automatically when I am away, and which I can control remotely via a smartphone. Does anyone know which systems will do this?

Forum Editor 18:44 16 Nov 2016

The problem you face is that remote control via a smartphone implies wifi digital controls on each radiator, and with your electric radiators that probably isn't the case - if it was, you wouldn't be asking the question.

These electric radiators have the control built in, but I know of no controllers that can be retro-fitted.

MuffintheMule 19:10 16 Nov 2016

Thanks for the insight, however, I thought that a central controller (which I would contact by smartphone) could control each radiator via "captors" (or "capteurs" as they are called here in France)which are wired onto the heat control of each radiator. I only ask the question on this forum as I cannot find any forum in France that deals with this subject! And when I read the French reviews, I get bogged down in the technical details and was hoping that an English-language forum would cut to the quick -- but maybe these systems don't exist in the UK.

Forum Editor 20:09 16 Nov 2016

You can certainly switch individual power sockets remotely using a phone app, from anywhere in the world. You can plug your radiators into special wiFi power sockets, and run the system via an app.

Here's an example of what I mean.

MuffintheMule 20:15 16 Nov 2016

That's great, thanks. Those types of plug will certainly do the job. I will look into that idea as a solution.

Forum Editor 20:21 16 Nov 2016

Just check the socket loading - they will probably have an internal fuse, and that needs to be rated to take the radiator load. It's probably 13Amp, which will be fine with all normal electric radiators.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?