Sending Texts to Australia

morddwyd 10:29 04 Jul 2018

Is it necessary to set something up to send teats to Australia (I may have asked this before; if so my apologies)?

The only way I can send my son a text is via Skype. Two phones, on two networks, O2 andEE, both fail, with no "not sent" indication.

Forum Editor 08:54 31 Aug 2018

"I pay O2 £10 a month or £2 per text, in addition to the normal charges"

I really still cannot understand why you need to send text messages when you can use Skype or WhatsApp anywhere in the world, free of charge. You could see your son, and talk to him at the same time. It's infinitely better than texting.

morddwyd 09:28 31 Aug 2018

My son doesn't have, and won't install, Skype.

When I use Skype it is solely as a telephone service.

The only times I text him are to check his emails, something he rarely does, or to confirm receipt if I have sent him some funds to keep. It is not always convenient to Skype, and sometimes his phone is off.

Aitchbee 10:53 31 Aug 2018

My brother, who lives in Eire, doesn't have a computer or mobile phone so I use a £5 TalkHome phonecard to keep in touch. You'll get up to 1000 minutes talk time for Australia according to the link below.

click here

polymath 22:09 31 Aug 2018

"Why text in this day and age?"

Because text, unlike data messaging, can work wherever there's even the weakest of mobile signals. (This could matter in an emergency).

The mobile signal at my place, for instance, has only just enough power to carry calls & SMS messages. For my phone to access the internet, and to send/receive messages containing any data whatever (an URL, even), it had to be a wifi one (and able to turn off 4G to work as a phone, but that’s another story!). Mobile data has to be off by default (I just use it occasionally, when on the move and away from wifi, or to access the internet to fix my internet connection, etc).

I agree that WhatsApp is a good alternative, though.. Like Gmail, Facebook Messenger etc (and Skype, I imagine), it’s unaffected by which ISPs are on speaking terms with which. I’d guess it’s now more universal than Skype or Facebook Messenger (and unlike the latter, it ‘just works’). Some companies and other organisations these days are using only WhatsApp to communicate with their customers/members (which is what precipitated my getting it).

It automatically populated its list with everyone in my phonebook who has it. They included a New Zealand friend I’d despaired of getting back in touch with, because of the international texting problem. She’s in Australia at the moment; no problem now there either. (Voice calls are great, but it’s hard to know when she’ll be asleep/working or vice versa!).

I think WA’s data use is modest, even with a photo etc. It’ll also do groups (secure family or other chatrooms), and has end-to-end encryption I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 9 review

Apple has upgraded the iMac to make it twice as fast – and given the iMac Pro a quiet bump too

New iMac 2019 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

iMac 2019 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique