Sending Texts to Australia

morddwyd 10:29 04 Jul 2018

Is it necessary to set something up to send teats to Australia (I may have asked this before; if so my apologies)?

The only way I can send my son a text is via Skype. Two phones, on two networks, O2 andEE, both fail, with no "not sent" indication.

x123 11:08 04 Jul 2018

Use Whatsapp.

You can text and phone for free. It uses an internet connection.

enter link description here

wee eddie 11:11 04 Jul 2018

The UK prefix is 44, which replaces the 0 in a Mobile Phone number. The Australian country code is 61.

Add that to his Phone Number and away it goes

x123 11:12 04 Jul 2018
  morddwyd 12:38 04 Jul 2018

Thank you. I know the prefix for Oz of course, because I use it when I telephone him - the number for SMS is the same as for voice.

Not sure how Whatsapp would change the case.

lotvic 13:40 04 Jul 2018

I'm using the new Google's messages for web, (opens in a webpage in browser) and syncs with my phone text messages.

How to set it up click here

x123 16:06 04 Jul 2018

If both phones have the Whatsapp application then you can send texts and telephone calls, for free, from anywhere in the world.

Also to anyone who has a Whatsapp application. You just need their telephone number.

morddwyd 19:15 04 Jul 2018

Thank you. I cam already do that with Skype.

My question was about an inability to send text messages to Australia using the standard mobile phone network.

wee eddie 02:54 05 Jul 2018

What combination of Codes/Numbers have you tried up to now?

lotvic 11:03 05 Jul 2018

send text messages to Australia using the standard mobile phone network

Will that incur charges?

Forum Editor 16:55 05 Jul 2018

WhatsApp is a far better bet.

1. It's free*

2. It's easy to use, and it works perfectly.

3. You can send text messages, or make phone calls.

*Remember that all this goes via the internet, so depending on your plan, data charges may apply.

A mobile phone network will charge for sending an international text. My provider (EE) charges 35p for a standard rate text to Australia.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple