Second Sky+ box

Perry72 20:17 22 Jan 2009

I already have Sky+ in my living and I have a seperate Sky box upstairs for which I pay an extra £9.75 for multi-room and my kitchen TV is linked to the upstairs Sky box via a magic eye. What I wondered was how simple it would be to replace for normal Sky box with a second hand Sky+ box (Sky charge £199 for a 2nd box and £60 installation - what a joke) - which I could buy off Ebay for around £50 from everyone who is upgrading to Sky+HD. Do I need anything from Sky or any extra leads, I assume I've got to attach an extra cable to the Sky dish - if there is one. Any advice would be appreciated.

laurie53 08:36 23 Jan 2009

I did exactly that with no problem.

I did have to get an extra lead fitted, but can't remember if that was for the ordinary Sky box or the second Sky+ box.

It's simply a matter of swapping the leads from one to the other, then ringing Sky to register your card to the new box, takes just a minute or so (once you've got through that is!).

Forum Editor 00:34 24 Jan 2009

you'll need two leads from the LNB on the dish to each Sky+ box.

malgall 18:38 27 Jan 2009

i have two sky plus boxes and you will need to get for cables feeding from your dish
two for each box

malgall 18:38 27 Jan 2009

sorry that should have said four cables from dish

howard64 17:40 28 Jan 2009

if you only need to record 1 prog at a time surely the 2nd. sky+ box would be happy with just 1 feed?

Forum Editor 18:31 28 Jan 2009

It will, but if you want to record programmes on a different channel to the one you're watching whilst you're out you'll have to 'lock' the second LNB feed on the box by setting up what's called a dummy recording - otherwise the box will not change channels when it should, and the recording will fail.

Best to run 2 LNB feeds to each box.

Perry72 21:17 03 Feb 2009

Thanks for all the responses, can laurie53 confirm whether I need a new viewing card or do I just need to register my old one with Sky for the new Sky+ box.

laurie53 07:18 04 Feb 2009

I think I just inserted the new card and called them up to log the box to the card, as I seem to remember it was very quick and very simple.

However, it's a while ago and I may be wrong.

howard64 19:33 04 Feb 2009

it was about this time last year I got my sky+ box and all I had to do with regard to the card was take it from my original sky box and put it into the sky+ box.

martytoon 11:03 05 Feb 2009

You'll need to "pair" the old viewing card to your new Sky+ box. This takes a couple of minutes on the phone to Sky Customer Services - you'll need to be infront of your new Sky+ box & TV as they'll want some details from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?