SD card capacity help - Toshiba being unhelpful

BigBelgian 15:28 15 Jun 2018

Hi. I bought a proper Toshiba microSD card from Amazon of the official Toshiba seller. I've been using it in my phone for ages and it's supposed to be 128GB. However, it's stopped working at 59 GB real life capacity, which to my mind, means it's a 64GB card missold as 128GB. Full spec: It is a microSDXC UHS-I card with adapter 128GB, claiming a read speed of 90MB/s and a UHS write speed class 3.30MB/s Min.

I did run a test at the time of buying with Disk Utility to erase the SD card and it gave me this data: 512 bytes per physical sector /dev/rdisk6s1: 243161024 sectors in 3799391 FAT32 clusters (32768 bytes/cluster) bps=512 spc=64 res=32 nft=2 mid=0xf8 spt=32 hds=255 hid=32768 drv=0x80 bsec=243220480 bspf=29683 rdcl=2 infs=1 bkbs=6

Now I've got no idea how to interpret that mumbojumbo. My back of a cardboard box maths doesn't seem to add up to anything useful. Toshiba additionally have been unhelpful with my query.

Anyone able to interpret these numbers for me and confirm my suspicion?

bremner 15:41 15 Jun 2018

Multiply sectors by bytes and that gives you 124GB

Without going into the maths that is a 128GB Card

BigBelgian 19:53 16 Jun 2018

Thanks.

Is there any way that this process is not fool proof? Could the stats have been manipulated?

The SD card still bricks it at 59GB, whereas the phone specs say it can work with an SD card in it upto 200GB

lotvic 23:19 16 Jun 2018

Which phone is it? some don't actually recognise the full capacity of an SD card even if the specs say they should.

BigBelgian 23:28 16 Jun 2018

Samsung S7

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 17 Jun 2018

have you formatted in phone or in PC?

BigBelgian 16:32 17 Jun 2018

In PC! I did it properly

mole44 11:02 18 Jun 2018

This from the sd card association,it should clean and set your card to factory fresh click here

lotvic 15:39 18 Jun 2018

It could be because you formatted the SDXC card on a computer. The following from Toshiba website click here

The products (SDXC and SDHC Card) are already formatted in compliance with the each memory card specification, but it may need to be formatted specifically for your device. Also, if the product is used on different devices, it may need to be formatted for each different device. All data stored on the product is destroyed when it is formatted. The standard formatting function on a personal computer (formatting by right-clicking on the product's icon on a computer) produces a format that is not compatible with SDXC and may cause a malfunction preventing reading and writing to the card. In such a case, for SDXC card, use an SDXC compatible device (other than a computer) and for SDHC card use an SDXC or SDHC compatible device (also other than a computer) or specialized formatting software to format the product in these situations. Download the SD Formatter (specialized SD card formatting software) from the SD association's download page

or use your phone to format as per Samsung Support click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)