satalite dish/freeview

armacomroll 15:43 30 Jun 2007

when looking for a new arial for my freeview box I was told that a small satalite dish connected directly to the arial socket on the freeview box would work better for best digital reception . does anyone use this method.

armacomroll 16:22 30 Jun 2007

thanks it was staff at maplins that suggested this method but i'm not so sure it would work

Stuartli 19:30 30 Jun 2007

Freeview is a digital terrestial broadcasting medium i.e. through a normal wideband TV aerial signal.

The free to air digital channels from satellite will most likely be intended to include Sky's Freestat service. See:

click here

Wilham 11:34 01 Jul 2007

armacomroll:
Satellite dishes receive signal frequencies around 10Ghz which are guided into a trumpet-shaped box called an LNB (low noise box). This gadget does two things; it selects polarisation, and it reduces the carrier frequency by 90% to down-feed the satellite receiver.

A terrestrial receiver does not provide the 18 volt power and control needed by the LNB.

Arnie 13:40 01 Jul 2007

Wilham is basically correct.

If a Universal LNB is used it will also require a 22kHz signal at around 0.5v p-p.

This signal is required to switch The LNB's (low noise block) local oscillator to the high or low band.

A satellite system you were thinking about is called "free to air" Your set top box is free to view and can only be used with a terrestrial aerial system or the provision of a signal working within the same parameters of the transmitted terrestrial digital signal.

armacomroll 10:13 02 Jul 2007

Thanks everyone this answers my query

Stuartli 11:12 02 Jul 2007

Free to air and free to view are basically the same thing - I'd made it clear that DTB is only available via a Freeview set top box/PC digital TV card or USB stick in conjunction with a standard wideband TV aerial.

Satellite equivalents are used for FreeSat and picking up the many free to air transmissions from various satellites, but not necessarily broadcast in English.

Some listings:

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?